[News] [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 04:37:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft wants your health care records, trust

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071006-microsoft-wants-your-health-care-records-trust.html

Poor-quality software from a company that breaks your PC through updates even
when you explicitly refuse them.

Microsoft is said to be giving data warehousing services for free just so that
the existence of the company then becomes a matter of life and death to
people. Now, that's just pure evil.

Related:

Use Health Vault, Lose Your Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced (NY Times Article) Health Vault. What should have
| followed here is a review of the service by my actually trying it.
|
| [...]
|
| Heard enough? So had I. I'm absolutely going to pass on Health Vault. In
| addition to looking like the Microsoft Passport debacle redux, this is a very
| one-sided contract. They can harm you but you cannot harm them. There is no
| way for any 3rd party to verify that their privacy and security software
| works.
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1191521272

Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems

,----[ Quote ]
| While on a visit in Romania, where Bill Gates participated in the
| celebration of 10 years since the Microsoft branch has been running
| there, and the launch of Vista, Microsoft?s president declared that,
| with the right ammount of administration, the new Vista could run
| life support systems in hospitals.
`----

http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/02/01/bill-gates-vista-is-so-secure-it-could-run-life-support-systems/

Experts are calling for product liability for software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/86932/from/rss09

,----[ Quote ]
| Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally
| responsible for selling software that is insecure.

Failed NHS project cost $12 billion

http://www.e-health-insider.com/news/item.cfm?ID=700

GPs threaten to snub NHS database

,----[ Quote ]
| The electronic warehouse, dubbed Spine, is part of the NHS's £12bn
| IT upgrade, which aims to link up 30,000 GPs to nearly 300 hospitals
| and give patients access to their personal health and care information.
|
| [...]
|
| More than 60% said they feared the system would be vulnerable to
| hackers and unauthorised access by public officials from outside the
| NHS and social care.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6167924.stm

Microsoft in the NHS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is one of the key technology firms in the £6.2 billion NHS
| IT programme. It is working particularly closely with iSOFT ...
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/comment_and_analysis/index.cfm?ID=69

CfH refutes computer failure claims

,----[ Quote ]
| "Very often they are not major incidents as such, but could be caused when
| a patient administration system is running slow or there may be problems
| with the local network. The severity level is attributed by the user and
| this is subsequently very often down graded or amended."
|
| Many of the incidents that have been reported by CfH include failure of
| the systems used by surgeons to see X-ray pictures on a computer screen
| in wards and operating theatres. On some occasions the system is believed
| to have crashed during an operation, forcing surgeons to suspend the
| procedure while a hard copy of the X-ray is found.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/19/cfh_defends_itself/

Head of Kaiser's digital project quits

,----[ Quote ]
| The resignation of J. Clifford Dodd, a senior vice president and
| chief information officer for Kaiser, came four days after another
| Kaiser employee sent a scathing e-mail to most of the company's
| 140,000 employees about his concerns over the high-profile
| technology project, known as HealthConnect.
|
| [...]
|
| In an interview, Deal said cost overruns were common and that data
| showed the new software system breaking down so frequently that
| doctors and patients were often left for long periods without
| access to medical records.
|
| [...]
|
| Others worry that digital medical records pose risks to patients'
| privacy, pointing to cases like that of the Veterans Administration,
| which lost personal data including medical information on millions
| of veterans last spring.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-kaiser8nov08,1,4250636.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true
http://tinyurl.com/yxvc22