[News] Linux is Very Popular Also in Space

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Very Popular Also in Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:49:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Technology zoom on earth and beyond

,----[ Quote ]
| The ISS project is undertaken by space agencies from around the world with
| one of the participants being the European Space Agency. ESA has made
| extensive use of Linux not only for ISS modules, but for its other projects
| as well, such as its Mars Lander programme.
`----

http://dawn.com/weekly/science/science5.htm

Related:

Linux blasts off in U.S. tactical satellite

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was shot into space Dec. 16, as part of a second-phase Air
| Force Research Laboratory program aimed at making space more
| "operationally responsive." The TacSat-2 (tactical satellite)
| program aims to create "micro satellites" that can be launched
| quickly and cheaply, to support tactical military operations.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux was also a part of last year's TacSat-1 effort, powering the
| Copperfield-2 payload, as described in LinuxJournal.

NASA tests Linux for spacecraft control

,----[ Quote ]
| On the software side, embedded Linux vendor Wind River says it was selected
| to "support the development of NASA's New Millennium Program Space Technology
| 8 (ST8) Dependable Multiprocessor." As part of its role in supporting the
| project, the company will supply its Platform for Network Equipment, Linux
| Edition (PNE-LE) for use on the DM system.

DOD SoftwareTechNews Open Source - The future is open

,----[ Quote ]
| OSS use in U.S. government is pervasive.
| ----Including the Linux kernel, Samba, Apache, Perl, GCC, GNAT,
| XFree86, OpenSSH, bind, and sendmail.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/06/dod_softwaretec.html

Open-Source Software and Its Role in Space Exploration

,----[ Quote ]
| FOSS explores our Solar System. We send robots to the moon, Mars
| and beyond to flyby, orbit or land. FOSS goes with them, pervasive
| in the real-time operating systems, math libraries and file systems.
| Consider the robotic decisions of where to rove, and realize the power
| given the human race by the Free Software Foundation's (FSF)
| compilers, libraries, build scripts and so on.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/111950/Open_Source_Software_and_its_Role_in_Space_Exploration
http://tinyurl.com/2kcyvw

NASA enlists HP in multibillion-dollar tech contract

,----[ Quote ]
| This includes desktop PCs, workstations, and blade PCs enabled to
| run Unix and Linux operating systems; as well as printers and servers.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722103-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

At NASA, Windows Vista Isn't Ready For Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Space agency among the growing list of federal agencies that
| have put a temporary hold on Windows Vista rollouts.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199201229

NASA tests Linux-based planetary surface exploration robots

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux-based NASA lunar rover is on maneuvers -- and Internet webcams
| -- this week in the Arizona desert near Meteor Crater.
|
| [...]
|
| The K-10 runs Red Hat Linux, which NASA says was chosen for its large
| user base and application compatibility. Additionally, NASA notes that,
| "Linux's flexibility and scalability enable us to easily add, remove,
| and extend devices with minimal difficulty."

Avoiding Hubble trouble: The software plan for NASA's new space telescope

,----[ Quote ]
| "Once you get into millions of lines of code, it's really difficult
| for a new programmer coming onto a project to make a change or
| understand how different subsystems relate to each other," he says.
|
| [...]
|
| It's hard to estimate how much money will be saved because of the
| decision to use open standards software. It could be a few million
| dollars, or 10 times that, Cammarata says.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/011907-software-hubble-nasa.html?page=2

NASA Expands Order for Innova Robotics & Automation's Universal Robot
Controller to Enhance Ground Testing

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, Innova will provide an external clock synchronization
| signal to NASA's Linux-based host PC that will function as the
| "heart beat" that triggers the initiation of commands to the robotic arm.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=219764

Young Scientists Design Open-Source Program at NASA

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/04/cosmoscode_0409