[News] [Rival] Examples of Serious Bugs in Windows Vista

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Examples of Serious Bugs in Windows Vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:12:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Bugs all over the place, some of which are severe.

Windows Vista running with no RAM!

,----[ Quote ]
| But as you can see from the screenshot above, Vista can function with zero
| RAM. I know, it does sound illogical, but then again… And no, it is not an
| example of my Photoshop skills at work, it is a genuine screenshot from
| Vista.
`----

http://www.comnetslash.com/2007/10/05/windows-vista-running-with-no-ram/

Oh dear! Can't blame the monopolist for being honest...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2216/1491568691_7203c9d0cf_o.jpg

Related:

"Mommy, it's broken." 2 weeks with Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| After 5 years of development, Vista still isn't ready for prime time.
| It's like taking a car without an engine and putting a new coat of
| paint on it. Sure it looks pretty, but it still doesn't work. I would
| wait at least 6 months if not a year to invest in Vista. In fact I
| personally will be putting XP on my laptop because Vista crashes too
| much for me to use everyday.
|
| This review doesn't take into account the DRM and anti-piracy
| issues that have been brought up by Vista. Without taking those
| into account I still wouldn't buy Vista.
`----

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/blogs/Journal_Science.php?id=2208

Vista isn't ready for non-office use

,----[ Quote ]
| While the computing world is suitably excited there is enough evidence at
| the moment to suggest that moving to Vista might be a bad idea if you're
| doing anything clever.
|
| Drivers - the fun of...
|
| Gaming...
|
| Sound...
|
| General performance...
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/vista_isnt_ready_for_non_office_use

Windows XP’s Repulsive “Hidden ToolTip” Bug… Fixed!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever since Microsoft invented the Windows Shell with explorer.exe back in the
| days of Windows 95, there’s been a bug that’s gone from one version of
| Windows to the next; and with each upgrade it became worse and worse - until
| Vista where it only rears its ugly head every once in a while instead.
|
| Everyone that has used a Windows PC must have seen this bug before - it’s
| that ubiquitous (not that Microsoft would admit it for 10 long years):
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-xps-repulsive-hidden-tooltip-bug-fixed/

Wrong spelling in Vista, LOL!

,----[ Quote ]
| I just did a Reliability and Performance Monitor collection and Data
| evaluation. I looked at Resource overview and noticed a spelling msitake, it
| said Resouce Monitor.
| Check yourselves.
`----

http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19939

Microsoft Spelling

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft spelling check it out for yourselves Run -> cmd -> systeminfo
`----

http://vistaincompatible.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1173138187/0#0

Programs Cannot Be Uninstalled In Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Possibly after one of the latest updates in Windows Vista, two strange things
| happened: first, the Uninstall option is no longer available in the Control
| Panel when you right-click on older programs (most likely, those installed
| prior to the update in question, because uninstall works fine for recently
| installed programs — the Uninstall button is also missing on the toolbar at
| the top); second, some programs are no longer shown on the applications list
| in Control Panel (e.g., Yahoo Messenger).
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/15/1641254&from=rss

MS update sends PCs 'haywire'

,----[ Quote ]
| Users are advised to review knowledge base articles that refer to the
| particular version of .NET and Windows they are running for more information,
| which are listed under the "known issues" section of the bulletin.
|
| The SANS posting, and feedback we're hearing, suggests the problems some
| users are experiencing are more than these knowledge base articles might
| suggest but at least these postings provide a starting point for users before
| they refer outstanding issues they might still be having to Microsoft or
| their support partners.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/ms_patch_problems/

Windows cursor patch causing trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing Microsoft's Tuesday patch for a "critical" Windows
| vulnerability is causing trouble for some users.
`----

http://news.com.com/Windows+cursor+patch+causing+trouble/2100-1002_3-6173413.html

Thanks To Microsoft No Work Will Be Getting Done This Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Patch Tuesday is coming up and again work will grind to a halt as
| techs spend the next few days deploying what amounts to a huge
| payload of patches for the month of February 2007. This month
| we're looking at five critical updates related to Windows
| security, two relating to Office security and one relating to
| Windows OneCare Live, Microsoft Antigen, Windows Defender and Microsoft
| Forefront; plus a host of other lesser related patches, 21
| one in all.
`----

http://www.realitywired.com/2007/02/10/thanks-to-microsoft-no-work-will-be-getting-done-this-week/
http://tinyurl.com/2n8hz4

Microsoft customers melting down over Daylight Saving patches

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users in the DST chat room are reporting problems
| getting their Blackberry servers and devices to sync up with
| their DST-patched Exchange servers. Others, in spite of Microsoft
| warnings to apply DST patches in a specific order, are running
| into problems because they are attempting to patch Exchange
| before Windows.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=307

Windows Vista Ultimate experience

,----[ Quote ]
| I just had an "ultimate" crash last week running Windows Vista Ultimate.
|
| [...]
|
| I took some pictures of the weird characters was being displayed before I
| went back to my old Windows XP
`----

http://araneda.net/?p=13

Ubuntu Unveils 'Edgy Eft' Linux Update

,----[ Quote ]
| "From a usability standpoint, I can only say good things,"
| said 451 Group Senior Analyst Nick Selby. "The Ubuntu development
| team has done simply a great job demonstrating that free software
| and open source software can be combined for a platform that is
| every bit as polished and usable as a proprietary one."

Ubuntu 7.04 - Feisty Fawn Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, is 7.04 worth the update? Absolutely. It is a mature, stable
| and easy to use system. If only some of the closed source cough
| Microsoft cough teams could get this level of polish.
`----

http://www.synergymx.com/page.php?Title=Ubuntu_7.04_-_Feisty_Fawn_Review/

Windows Vista has some serious refresh Issues

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://cacheyourcash.blogspot.com/2007/05/windows-vista-has-some-serious-refresh.html
http://tinyurl.com/2un4ep