Re: Wow! (Better-than-Vista Video)

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 04:03:07 +0100
<3294517.OmcjbHiLSX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I
>

> http://www.showusyourwow.com/noflash.aspx?l=en-gb
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Browser Requirements
> |
> | Having trouble? For the best experience with our site please
> | verify that you have met the requirements below.
> |
> | 1. JavaScript Enabled
> |
> | 2. The latest version of the Adobe Flash Plugin
> `----
>
> Oh, well, Microsoft never works properly.

Maybe Windows doesn't work properly, but Microsoft sure
knows how to make money.  :-)  The main question: is it
legitimate money, or acquired through trickery, deceit,
and misrepresentation?  (And who decides?  But that is
a post for another day...)

As for the website...good grief.  The above presumably
shows up for non-flash-enabled browsers under certain
conditions, if one accesses http://www.showusyourwow.com/ .
Dillo shows the text outside of the box; this is probably
acceptable considering Dillo's general stupidity (by
design) anyway.  Opera actually shows the Website more
or less properly (if one has the plugins); the effect is
mildly interesting but compared to GLX is extremely tepid;
they're going to have to do a lot better than that to
make me go "wow" (in a positive way, anyway).

IE6 also worked properly (on Linux).  (One might go "Wow",
here -- but www.ies4linux.org is kinda nice in that regard.
Regrettably, I need IE6 for one brain-damaged application
at $EMPLOYER, which apparently does not like Mozzie's
cookies; it only wants IE6's New And Improved(tm) flavor.
St00pid.)

Firefox and Epiphany rewarded me with a mostly blank
screen with the Vista "aurora background" -- more of an
"uhhhh" or a "awww" than a "wow" -- a few links, and the
copyright statement.

A Java JEditorPane-based browser affair I have shows
nothing but a lower case 'v' and the copyright statement.
Lynx indicated a refresh/redirect to your URL above
(except en-us instead of en-gb).  That's more of a "ha"
or an "oops".  Granted, I'm not sure JEditorPane quite
understands the subtleties of XML yet anyway, even in
version 1.6.0-03 -- and that's probably not Java's
priority, anyway.

Brain-damaged!  Microsoft should have done a server-side
redirect, not a META REFRESH.  A wget/xsltproc indicates a
fair number of parse errors in what should presumably be
a valid XML document; all of these are in the Javascript,
and presumably could be corrected using a simple
<![CDATA[ ... ]]> construct.  That Microsoft doesn't bother
is somewhat telling -- though it looks more like laziness
than deliberately engineered malice.  The doctype is XHTML
1.0 transitional, which is also lazy (one should ideally
see strict instead).

Oddly, Firefox's error console indicated nothing upon
pageload.

Wow.

This is not a website that will go on
http://www.anybrowser.org/ as an example anytime
soon... :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random frustration here
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail