[News] Betting Your Life on the Draconian Microsoft EULA and Excessive Hype (Free Healthcare Software to the Rescue)

  • Subject: [News] Betting Your Life on the Draconian Microsoft EULA and Excessive Hype (Free Healthcare Software to the Rescue)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:49:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Use Health Vault, Lose Your Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced (NY Times Article) Health Vault. What should have
| followed here is a review of the service by my actually trying it.
|
| [...]
|
| Heard enough? So had I. I'm absolutely going to pass on Health Vault. In
| addition to looking like the Microsoft Passport debacle redux, this is a very
| one-sided contract. They can harm you but you cannot harm them. There is no
| way for any 3rd party to verify that their privacy and security software
| works.
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1191521272

Aetna CEO Calls Microsoft, Google Health ‘Vaporware’

,----[ Quote ]
| “We’re perplexed by the fact that their vaporware gets all this attention and
| we get very little.”
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2007/10/04/microsoft-google-aetna/?mod=yahoo_hs

Personal Health Records with another perpesctive.

,----[ Quote ]
| The short term intent of open medicdrive is to educate and make it possible
| for anybody with a computer...
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1191513598

Related:

Bill Gates: Vista is so secure it could run life support systems

,----[ Quote ]
| While on a visit in Romania, where Bill Gates participated in the
| celebration of 10 years since the Microsoft branch has been running
| there, and the launch of Vista, Microsoft?s president declared that,
| with the right ammount of administration, the new Vista could run
| life support systems in hospitals.
`----

http://www.our-picks.com/archives/2007/02/01/bill-gates-vista-is-so-secure-it-could-run-life-support-systems/

*LMAO* That was before Vista got released, pWn3d, rejected, and ridiculed to
death (pun intended).

Experts are calling for product liability for software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/86932/from/rss09

,----[ Quote ]
| Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally
| responsible for selling software that is insecure.

Your data or your life

,----[ Quote ]
| As unlikely and alarmist as this sounds, it could really happen. Intracare
| is the publisher of a popular practice management system called Dr. Notes.
| When some doctors balked at a drastic increase in their annual software
| lease, they were cut off from accessing their own patients? information.
|
| This situation is completely unconscionable. There can be no truly
| open doctor-patient relationship when an unrelated third party is the
| de facto owner of and gatekeeper to all related data.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1709

Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook, Outlook Express e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged that a bug in its Windows Live
| OneCare security suite has been causing users' e-mail to vanish
| from Outlook and Outlook Express.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012499

Windows XP repair disk kills automatic updates

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is getting a kicking from critics for this - the same people who
| slammed the company two weeks ago when Microsoft forced a Windows patch on
| users who had turned off automatic updates.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/29/windows_update_flap/

Microsoft Excel fails math test

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Excel 2007 spreadsheet program is going to have to relearn
| part of its multiplication table.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_excel_bug

Microsoft: Excel Bug Doesn't Add Up

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been depending on your Microsoft Excel software to do your number
| crunching for you, you might want to grab a calculator and review your
| spreadsheets before you send the document out the door. That's because the
| latest version of Excel is housing bugs that are dead set on ruining your
| reports.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070927/tc_nf/55613

Why Does Windows Crash?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s analysis of crash root causes indicates: 70% caused by
| third-party driver code, 15% caused by unknown (memory is too corrupted to
| tell), 10% caused by hardware issues and 5% caused by Microsoft code.
`----

http://digg.com/microsoft/Why_Does_Windows_Crash

Trouble Shooting The Blue Screen of Death

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately since Windows 2000 this has become less of a common occurrence,
| or so it seemed. Working late last night at a client’s office on a handful
| of problems already, Windows Vista (Brand new machine, only a week old)
| decided to show me otherwise. While copying some vital files to the
| machine, it restarted windows. After a rebooting to the login screen,
| it then repeated the process of halting and restarted, nice!
`----

http://www.terinea.co.uk/blogs/terineatechtips/2007/06/27/trouble-shooting-the-blue-screen-of-death/
http://tinyurl.com/3x7fe3

Who Knew... [Musical instruments crash]

,----[ Quote ]
| Who knew that even musical instruments could experience Microsoft’s Blue
| Screen of Death. I didn’t until I went to Seattle’s Experience Music Project
| last week.
`----

http://justinmaier.com/2007/08/22/who-knew/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foronda/478777860/

NVidia + Vista = BSOD

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been widely reported that Nvidia drivers are quite buggy,
| and Nvidia themselves have a special area to deal with Vista bugs.

The Blue Screen of Death is Back!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok I'm going to wipe my computer and install Vista clean, and see if
| run into the same problems. If that does not work, I will go back to XP,
| and really start to look at getting a Mac, and I'm one of the few people
| that don't like apple (long story, tell you about it some other time).
`----

http://vn21.org/2007/04/26/the-blue-screen-of-death-is-back/

Vista BSOD, Mac Pro Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| I attempted to install Windows Vista Ultimate on my test machine here
| at the office last night. It's a dual-Xeon (quad core) Mac Pro tower,
| a real beast hardware-wise, so I figured I wouldn't encounter any
| problems.
|
| [BSOD]
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/02/vista_bsod_mac_.html

Slot machine suffers blue screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
| However, it appears that this particular design is not quite ready
| for the prime time as, when we stopped by, the game had hung
| completely with a classic blue screen of death. Now that's going
| to seriously annoy you if you've just won the jackpot! We came back
| an hour later, and the game was still in the same condition.

AOL has the power to crash Win2k virtual machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, I hear the chorus typing their hate e-mails... "Why would
| anyone run the AOL client inside linux"? Simple: for me it's just
| another tool to avoid network congestion. When you connect to AOL
| over broadband you setup a VPN to the "AOL cloud" and your AOLc
| lient allows navigating from an AOL IP address, thus often helping
| bypass local backbone bottlenecks and other nuisances.

Windows Vista Crashing On Install

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yuschik.blogspot.com/2006/11/windows-vista-crashing-on-install.html