Re: [New] COLA in Linux Magazine

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AHappyCamper
<>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:48:32 -0400
<470551b7$0$16471$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Doug Mentohl wrote:

>> FOAM, moi? .. lets try and help the man out ..
>>
>> "There is no control panel for adjusting the way the touch pad works,
>> and I found it so sensitive that I was constantly launching programs and
>> opening windows accidentally by touching the thing"
>
> I would like to see what is out there.  Have a wave keyboard with Cirque
> touchpad, and presently have the COM1 serial port plug disconnected.

I have an nx9010 with a touchpad (running Linux,
of course).  I like the "one-touch launch" capability;
I don't have to click on the buttons below the touchpad
(those are a bit clunky).  However, the touch is a bit
sensitive; hit it too hard and one gets a mouse click --
sometimes in a slightly annoying spot.

I don't know if I can blame Linux for that.

>> "Every time the computer awoke from sleep, the volume control software
>> crashed and had to be reloaded"
>
> Can't comment, as my computers never sleep.  If I can't sleep, they
> certainly won't be allowed any!

Heh.

>> "When I tried to play common audio and video files, such as MP3 songs, I
>> was told I had to first download special files called codecs"
>
> there are what, 19 MP3 programs?  KMix, Juk, etc. never gave me any
> guff.  All simply played! So, I'm mystified.

The codes are separate...just to confuse everybody.
I can't say I've had that many problems, myself, though
there is some peculiar behavior at times.  (I think that's
more related to the wrappers around various files more
than the actual streams.)

>> "To get the computer to recognize my Kodak camera and Apple iPod, I had
>> to reboot it several times. When it did find the iPod, it wasn?t able to
>> synchronize with it"
>>

> We never reboot Linux, or any of the 'Nix OSes, as it does naught to
> resolve issues!  this guy Mossberg is supposed to be a competent
> computer journalist? NOT.

Reboot merely sets the machine to a (hopefully known)
start state.  Fix??  Might as well tow a malfunctioning
automobile back to one's own garage, and start driving
it again.

>> "Playing videos was a bad experience, with lots of flickering and freezing"
>
> What speed?  What video card?  Were the 3d features invoked?
> Was the CPU tasked with 90% labor for torrent, and porn,
> simultaneously?  Did he raise the default 8Mb shared RAM to
> 64Mb, in the CMOS Setup?
>
> Mossberg is sounding more and more incompetent!

He's certainly sounding non-specific.

>> "Oh, and there?s no built-in software for playing commercial DVDs"
> Now, with copyright laws as they are, he is bordering on incompetency
> and even idiocy!  Surely, he knows that only Linspire and Freespire have
> a licensed DVD decoder agreement?
>
> Who in our right mind would advocate "piracy"?  That is a 'feature'
> promoted in the Microsoft world!

Can't be too careful out there.  People might actually
listen to the songs they buy or something more than once.

On different machinery, even.

Oh, the horror!

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }