Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer
> <dwyer@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote
> on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:56:34 -0400
> <4705397f$0$26455$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> chance
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
>>>

>> So... what if it was?  Exactly what benefits would MacOS get from a linux
>> kernel compared to the current BSD kernel?
>>
>> Answer: None.
>>

>> About as relevant and intriguing as the age old question of "What if
>> concrete were brown - How would that change the world?"
>>

> One might also phrase the related question:
>
>   "If Windows had a Linux kernel".

Would it make a difference? AFAIK the primary problem with Windows is
security. But I don't believe that the Windows kernel is the weak-link in
the security model. It's the apps that people typically run as Administrator
that causes the problem. You could probably stick any sort of kernel you
wanted underneath the user apps but as long as people continue to visit porn
sites using IE while logged in as Administrator then the security problem is
going to remain.