[News] Another Japanese Linux Distribution Comes Back to Life

  • Subject: [News] Another Japanese Linux Distribution Comes Back to Life
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:23:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
http://www.linet.gr.jp/Plamo/

Plamo 4.22 released after a long period of hibernation. It's just one among
several Linux distributions that recently 'woke up', possibly because the
government is moving the Linux.

When this happened in Russia, suddenly the government moved the schools and
some government agencies to Linux, so it's a good sign.

Recent:

Momonga Linux 4 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| To our regular users, Momonga Project wishs to express our most gratitude for
| continuing support.
`----

http://www.momonga-linux.org/archive/Momonga-devel.en/msg00036.html

Berry Linux 0.83 released. (2007.8.20)

http://yui.mine.nu/berry/

New Partnership Extends Linux Foundation’s Work with Japanese Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Agreement Signed with Japanese Government Information-technology Promotion
| Agency (IPA) to help increase participation of Japanese developers in Linux
| and open source
`----

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/press/2007/09/30/new-partnership-extends-linux-foundations-work-with-japanese-developers/

Related:

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Japan is said to be leading the effort, which could launch
| as early as next month.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1

Oracle, IBM, NEC to market Linux in Japan: Nikkei

,----[ Quote ]
| Major information technology firms, including Oracle Corp., IBM Corp. and
| NEC Corp., will set up a consortium to sell servers and systems running
| the Linux operating system in Japan, a financial daily said on
| Thursday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202938.html

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
| is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
| patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
| an executive said Thursday.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
| who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
| market position.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft

OpenLogic Extends Reach in Japan with Ashisuto Strategic Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the agreement, OpenLogic will provide support to Ashisuto
| customers for hundreds of open source packages.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,112851.shtml

BakBone Leads Linux Data Protection Software Market in Japan for Fifth
Consecutive Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Between 2005 and 2006 BakBone grew its Linux data protection market share
| from 70.6% to 73.2% as outlined in the report "Japan Storage Software
| 2007-2011 Forecast and 2006 Vendor Shares."
|
| [...]
|
| According to IDC data, the Linux data protection software market in Japan is
| driven by BakBone, which continues to maintain high growth at approximately
| 20% per year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070724/20070724005129.html?.v=1

MySQL K.K. to Strengthen its Presence in the Japanese Database Market

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL K.K., the Japanese arm of the open source database developer MySQL AB,
| has announced three new initiatives aimed at strengthening its expansion in
| the Japanese market.
`----

http://www.mysolutioninfo.com/news-display.aspx?Code=1971&t=MySQL%20K.K
%20to%20Strengthen%20its%20Presence%20in%20the%20Japanese%20Database%20Market

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Linux hot at top Japanese embedded conference

,----[ Quote ]