[News] AMD Plays Politics, NVidia Enslaved to Vista Lunacy (and Aero Glass is Broken)

  • Subject: [News] AMD Plays Politics, NVidia Enslaved to Vista Lunacy (and Aero Glass is Broken)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:28:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD Spent $500,000 Lobbying in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| The company lobbied on tariffs related to semiconductor products, export
| regulations related to computer equipment, patent reform, federal research
| and development spending and immigration reform, according to the form posted
| online Sept. 21 by the Senate's public records office.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071002/advanced_micro_devices_lobbying.html?.v=1

Politicians are puppets in the hand of their investors (companies).

Getting Graphic With NVIDIA

,----[ Quote ]
| These include the growing use of PCs to edit video files such as home movies;
| the popularity of video games utilizing 3D graphics engines; the steady
| penetration of high-definition technologies; and the launch of new operating
| systems such as Vista that require more graphic rendering capabilities than
| ever. Indeed, many computers with IGPs can only run Aero (Vista's 3D user
|               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|  interface) at certain resolutions or not at all.
|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/02/nvidia-intel-microsoft-pf-ii-in_ty_1002soapbox_inl.html?partner=yahootix

Don't we discover more about broken Vista the deeper we look at it?

Related:

A GUI Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Beryl is a fork of the Compiz X Window management system and really is
| quite a treat to use. Linux, as it conventionally has, employs four
| desktops for the user providing much more physical workspace. Beryl will
| turn these quad desktops into a GUI that's simply breathtaking to use. I
| was lucky enough to kick around on a machine with Beryl accompanying Ubuntu
| at my bosses house and just...wow, Aero is child's play compared to Beryl's
| unique user experience.
`----

http://www.spawnpoint.com/features/A_GUI_BATTLE.html

Aero Theme is bad, disable it

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, 1.6 GB of memory used. Let's look at DWM with Task Manager and Process
| Explorer:
|
| [screenshots]
|
| As you can see for yourself, the DWM process, which should not have
| changed at all (based on Microsoft claims that it does not take up
| a lot of resources), has in fact grown to consume 105 MB of memory,
| and just look at the Process Explorer output!!!
`----

http://www.petri.co.il/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm

Microsoft Claims Vista's Aero Interface Doesn't Slow PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Principled Technologies, which conducted the research for Microsoft, is
|                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| offering a download of the report.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800080

Vista Aero: Linux Is Eating Your Lunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Take a look at this screengrab from an AMD machine running Linux.
| What are we seeing? Wobbly, transparent windows, hot UI effects, an
| amazing 3D task switcher, and enough eye-candy to make Vista Ultimatel
| ook like Midnight Commander.
|
| I'm not saying we all go out and pick up a copy of Ubuntu, but maybe
| that's actually what I'm saying.
`----

http://crunchgear.com/2007/01/31/vista-aero-linux-is-eating-your-lunch/

Microsoft Vista's China debut raises piracy issue

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070130:MTFH79141_2007-01-30_09-06-46_PEK210521&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2pw2ul