[News] Fears Over Open Source and IP Are Unfounded; FUD is Effective Though

  • Subject: [News] Fears Over Open Source and IP Are Unfounded; FUD is Effective Though
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:30:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why choose proprietary software over open source? Survey says!

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting, neither open source nor proprietary software score well on "IP
| protection." Either they're both equally good or they're both equally bad.
| Either way, they don't seem to offer distinct advantages, one over the other,
| according to the customers surveyed.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9789275-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Only 5% of UK firms always choose open source

,----[ Quote ]
| A concerned 40% of respondents were uneasy that open source software would
| leave them vulnerable to censure or litigation from commercial software
| vendors crying patent or trademark infringement.
|
| These fears are unfounded, according to Andrew Katz, a solicitor at UK law
| firm Moorcrofts, as US patents do not apply under UK law.
|
| "The UK is in a fantastic position. The chances of coming across patent
| infringement is vastly less," Katz told delegates at a London open source
| event earlier this month.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=CC4524E2-33D6-4559-994E-63AD38C710E0

Talking OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| [Q] The Microsoft patent imbroglio earlier this year largely targeted the
| Linux developer community, but OpenOffice.org fell into the crosshairs as
| well. Is there any impact on your group?
|
| [A] Looked at from the other side of the Atlantic, nothing in the U.S. patent
| arena surprises me anymore. The bottom line for OpenOffice.org is that we
| know where our code has come from. All our code is open source for anyone to
| inspect; we have nothing to hide. If someone believes we have to stop coding
| because they have a patent on how developers click a mouse, then that's fine
| by me -- I'm afraid I've been in the IT industry too long to worry unduly
| about FUD.
`----

http://reddevnews.com/news/devnews/article.aspx?editorialsid=827

Here is what OpenOffice.org tells Microsoft (spellchecker joke):

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9764/lolxb6.jpg

Related:

Microsoft/Novell agreement may exclude patent protection for Wine, OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070529-microsoftnovell-agreement-may-exclude-patent-protection-for-wine-openoffice.html
http://tinyurl.com/25at6e