[News] Another Review of the New Linux Mint and a Review of PC-BSD 1.4

  • Subject: [News] Another Review of the New Linux Mint and a Review of PC-BSD 1.4
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:38:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Mint Review

,----[ Quote ]
| This review is about the all new Linux Mint 3.1, codenamed "Celena". Mint is
| based on Ubuntu (in this version Ubuntu 7.04) and is compatible with its
| repositories, meaning that you get access to the huge Ubuntu repository which
| contains over 10.000 programs. But lets see everything in detail.
`----

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/218/104/

First look at PC-BSD 1.4

,----[ Quote ]
| So, all in all pros minus cons, PC-BSD is an amazing project. It allows many
| to experience the benefits of BSD clones who otherwise might not be able to.
| On the desktop it would be a wonderful alternative for the experienced and
| inexperienced alike. Additionally, it could possibly work out on a laptop for
| users who are willing to get some virtual dirt under their nails. PC-BSD is
| probably the best opportunity to experience "personal computing - BSD style."
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071001#review

Related:

SELinux vs. OpenBSD's Default Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Darrin Chandler suggested, "security should not be grafted on, it should be
| integrated into the main development process. I'm sure the patch maintainers
| are doing their best, but this doesn't change the fundamental flaw in the
| process. It's not a flaw of their making, it's inherent in the situation. But
| it's still a flaw."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/OpenBSD/SELinux_vs_OpenBSDs_Default_Security

Linux vs. BSD, What's the Difference?

,----[ Quote ]
| In this article, I'll compare Ubuntu 7.04 (Fiesty Fawn) with the (as of this
| writing) upcoming release of PC-BSD 1.4.
`----

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2007/08/23/linux-vs-bsd-whats-the-difference.html

Kubuntu v.s. PC-BSD

,----[ Quote ]
| I played a bit with Kubuntu this morning in preparation for the
| article "PC-BSD for Ubuntu Users". It made sense to me to compare the two
| operating systems if they were both running the same window manager (KDE) so
| I wouldn't be distracted by Gnome v.s. KDE issues. That was my first
| mistake....
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/unix/bsd/archives/kubuntu-vs-pcbsd-18431

Comparing GNU/Linux and FreeBSD