[News] [Rival] iPhone's Isane Root Mode Causes Trouble

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] iPhone's Isane Root Mode Causes Trouble
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:41:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
iPhone Vulnerability An Open Door For Hackers - Researcher

,----[ Quote ]
| "I started Safari on my iPhone, browsed to a Website, and a few seconds
| later, HD was able to get root on my phone, without a wireless connection.
| Being able to run your own machine code pretty much opens the gates,"
| Finisterre said.
`----

http://www.crn.com/security/202404419

Close, proprietary, and it shows. They give a bad name to *NIX. See below.

Related:

iPhone Security Hellhole?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems
| that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security
| blunder of the 21st century to date?

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS? [Linux most secure]

http://www.masuran.org/node/29

Apple iPhone issue highlights security debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Most early iPhone adopters have bought into the Apple mythology which
| convinces them that anything blessed by Steve Jobs is automatically
| desirable, so we won't see a mass return of the shiny devices with their
| slick interface.

First iPhone 3rd Party GUI App Compiles

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, it is the standard "Hello, world." application, but it's native to
| the iPhone and uses the iPhone's GUI.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/29/1252223&from=rss

IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
| tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
| control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
| to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
| allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/technology/23iphone.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1185163364-1OTsRJvbylLamj17FY2wnw&oref=slogin

iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

,----[ Quote ]