Re: [News] [Rights] GooTube's "protection" filters ... all for nothing

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 19 October 2007 20:22 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Viacom: Thanks, But We're Still Suing
>>
>> .----
>>|    NOW THAT GOOGLE HAS UNVEILED technology to prevent the illicit
>>| access of copyrighted video on YouTube, what impact will it have on
>>| the Viacom copyright infringement lawsuit? 'None at all,' Viacom
>>| said this week.
>>|
>>|    "It doesn't have any impact," said Viacom spokesman Jeremy
>>| Zweig. "Or at least it's very premature to try and figure out the
>>| impact it could have on the litigation."
>> `----
>>
>> http://battellemedia.com/archives/004040.php
>>
>> So Google spits on fair-use, but still has to pay the fines.
>>
>> What the hell is the point of that?
>>

> Viacom don't care about fair use or any other kind of use, they just
> want some of Google's money.

IIRC (if it's them), they have just launched a site with a video archive for
the Daily Show and their aim is pretty much to kill user-driven sites like
YouTube by saying, "look, here we have a legitimate site, so stop 'stealing'
our content." Just wait and watch.

Viacom has deals with other sites too, so the attacks on YouTube are a matter
of finance, not law. Search YouTube for "viacom" and see what I'm talking
about...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
         run-level 2  2007-10-16 15:14                   last=