Re: [News] Another Microsoft victim dumps Vista for Linux

____/ [H]omer on Friday 19 October 2007 15:47 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>
>> Ah, yes, very sensible for free software that can be copied and
>> modified by anybody at any time.
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification, DFS.  You're a great GPL advocate!
>
> He's not the sharpest stick in the woodpile, is he?
>
> Tip for DooFy, Microsoft /owns/ Windows ... they are liable for the
> products they /license/ to other, regardless of what they'd like to
> disclaim.
>
> Who /owns/ a GPL program?
>
> Everyone.
>
> Who is liable?
>
> Everyone ... and therefore no one.
>
> It's copy*right* versus copy*left*. Subtle, but important. Obviously too
> subtle for DooFy's rather blunt wits.

Parable:

With Microsoft Windows, user borrows pegleg, loses it, and gets kicked up the
arse (oWned).

With Free software, user builds leg of steel and kicks whatever he or she
wants. He or she controls his/her own foot and see if it messes up with one's
own physical health.

Okay, poor example... what were we talking about again? Oh! Files being lost.
Well, with source code, one can mend and report a bug. Would you trust a bunch
of underpaid guys in closed cubicles or an army of curious GNU developers and
a large number of Linux companies that have inspected the code and maintained
it separately from the whole (with collaboration)?

It was said last year (WSJ, IIRC) that Microsoft build an O/S like spaghetti.
It's like a bunch of codeslingers toying to stick bits of code together at the
90th minute, which is why Longhorn (Vista desktop) needed a "reboot"
(Ballmer's words). Guess what? The incarnation from 2005 needed yet _another_
reboot because Vista is clearly broken.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
         run-level 2  2007-10-16 15:14                   last=