[News] Radiohead is Blooming in Open Source Model

  • Subject: [News] Radiohead is Blooming in Open Source Model
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:04:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Free Radiohead music pirated

,----[ Quote ]
| Big Champagne, a Los-Angeles-based company that tracks illegal downloading on
| the Internet said that while 1.2 million people legitimately downloaded the
| album online, 500,000 picked it up from torrent sites.
|
| [....]
|
| It has also had more copies sold. Radiohead's previous album sold only
| 300,000 copies in the first week.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/18/free-radiohead-music-pirated

Related:

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
| latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
| advent of digital music, experts say.
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse