[News] The Forgotten Linux Window Managers Are Worth a Look

  • Subject: [News] The Forgotten Linux Window Managers Are Worth a Look
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:09:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Your Linux Computer Can Support A Different Window Manager!

,----[ Quote ]
| This may be obvious because many of you have probably seen screenshots of a
| Linux distribution. But some of you may face fear of having to use a
| distribution because the window manager makes everything look confusing.
| Well, you don't have to use the default window manager. There are several
| alternatives that can make your desktop look snazzy and less puzzling. These
| are just a few of the many that are out there!
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/10/your_linux_comp.html

Enlightenment - An easy-to-use Linux GUI

,----[ Quote ]
| In the 10 years I've been using Linux, I've run the gamut of window managers
| and desktop environments: FvWM, FvWM95, ICEWM, AfterStep, BlackBox, KDE,
| GNOME, Beryl, Fluxbox, CDE, XFCE, Windowmaker, Sawfish, Metacity, WM2, as
| well as Compiz.
`----

http://backyardgeek.blogspot.com/2007/10/enlightenment-easy-to-use-linux-gui.html

Related:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2&package_id=116678&release_id=544619

Initial Implementation of Desktop Icons in E17

,----[ Quote ]
| E17 is maturing, and the TODO that needs to be completed for its
| release is shrinking.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/17920/Initial-Implementation-of-Desktop-Icons-in-E17

E17 -- Desktop Enlightenment

,----[ Quote ]
| You need to install E17 in order to fully appreciate the magnificent
| work of the programmers. The direction of changes is very good -- e17
| delivers a nice-looking desktop with many special effects, being easy
| and lightweight at the same time. When compared to its predecessor
| -- e16 -- it shows that the desktop personalization and new effects
| do not have to trigger additional hardware purchases. I only wish Ic
| ould say the same about GNOME and KDE. Also, I have to say that I
| wish the Microsoft products were as stable and functional as e17
| in alpha phase.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/e17-desktop-enlightenment/

Elive 0.6.2 development released

,----[ Quote ]
| Between the work still's on new things, Elive has released a new ISO, this
| iso contains basically updates of packages:
|
|     * Packages updated: All the packages to has updates, set to day
|     * Firefox 2: Now called iceweasel is fully implemented,
|       remember that thunderbird is now called icedove too
|     * Flash 9: The first version stable of Flash 9 is released,
|       enjoy it directly on your Elive
`----

http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Main/News/_articles/51.html

Elive 0.5.2 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The beta version of the future Flash 9 is included; update from X.Org
| 7.0 to 7.1; Intel wireless firmware updates for the ipw2x00 models
| of wireless cards; Torus trooper, an amazing game made by Kenta Cho,
| with a retro-futuristic style; Transmission, a small basic
| BitTorrent client...
`----

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/?q=node/24

YDL uses Enlightnement and runs on the Playstation 3

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

A weekend with fluxbox.

,----[ Quote ]
| My biggest problem with using fluxbox is not fluxbox itself. I wanted it to
| be able to save some resources for my aging computer but I still needed to
| use KDE programs. So I checked my resource usage with pure KDE and then with
| fluxbox and KDE programs. There was no difference in resource usage.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/a-weekend-with-fluxbox-18594

Fluxbox on Gutsy, just to be different

,----[ Quote ]
| Just for giggles, I installed Fluxbox on Gutsy today ... which isn't
| really very daring, since the repositories have only been open for
| a day or two, and there?s very little in there that has changed.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/04/26/fluxbox-on-gutsy-just-to-be-different/

Fluxbuntu - Light weight Ubuntu-based Linux distribution featuring Fluxbox
window manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluxbuntu is a light-weight, standards-compliant, Ubuntu-based Linux
| distribution featuring the Fluxbox window manager.The project's primary
| goal is to develop an operating system that would run on a wide range
| of mobile devices and computers, both low-end and high-end.Recently
| since they started development on the PowerPC Architecture they also
| started development on support for the sony Playstation 3.
| Fluxbuntu now Officially supports most of the major architectures
| plaforms: i386, PowerPC, AMD 64bit & Intel 64bit and Itanium 64bit.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/fluxbuntu-light-weight-ubuntu-based-linux-distribution-featuring-fluxbox-window-manager.html

Screenshots:

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution=Fluxbuntu%20nBuild1%20Rev2