[News] Company Overhaul Gives Priority to GNU/Linux, Makes Windows a Minority

  • Subject: [News] Company Overhaul Gives Priority to GNU/Linux, Makes Windows a Minority
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:48:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tech Order Up

,----[ Quote ]
| When Patrick Piccininno stepped up to the counter of IHOP in 2003, it wasn't
| for a short stack—it was for Linux, with a side of cost savings.
|
| Piccininno is vice president of IT at the restaurant chain, based in
| Glendale, Calif. He recently spoke with eWEEK Staff Writer Brian Prince about
| his role in the company's migration to Linux and the construction of IHOP's
| data center, composed of roughly 65 percent Linux systems and 35 percent
| Windows systems.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2201749,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Related:

FON is Dropping Microsoft, Adopting Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As of today Fon will disengage from Microsoft and adopt Linux in the
| Ubuntu form as our operating system of choice.
`----

http://english.martinvarsavsky.net/fon/fon-is-dropping-microsoft-adopting-ubuntu.html

Adios Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu imported most of my pictures, music, and documents from Windows.
| There were some oddly named folders it missed. This was not problem as
| I was able to easily retrieve them when the setup was complete. I
| haven't reinstalled everything I normally use but all the major
| applications "just worked" after upgrading. I know this sounds
| like an advertisement for Ubuntu, I guess it is. I'll continue
| using it and report back on my progress.
`----

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/technology/adios-microsoft.html

Change!

,----[ Quote ]