Re: [News] RIAA attacks Usenet

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:37:22 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that owl spake thusly:
>
>> We could use penguins as routers.
>
> I've heard of carrier-pigeons, but this is getting silly :)

You mean, these carrier-pigeons?

http://www.news.com/2100-1001-257064.html

"In 1990, David Waitzman wrote RFC 1149, a tongue-in-cheek standard for
using pigeons to transfer information using the Internet Protocol (IP). On
Saturday, a group of Linux enthusiasts in Bergen, Norway, succeeded in
exchanging some data using the Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol (CPIP)."

"The group transmitted a "ping" command, among the most basic operations
of the Internet, in which one computer sends a signal to another, which in
turn signals that it is attached to the network. In the experiment,
packets of network data were printed on paper then attached to pigeons'
legs. Upon their arrival at the destination, the data was transferred to
the computer using optical character recognition software."

"...With a bit more luck than the Bergen group experienced, a basic Web
page probably could be loaded in a couple of hours, participant Vegard
Engen said in an e-mail interview."

For those who haven't already seen it a few thousand times, RFC 1149
can be found at <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt>.