[News] CIO Articles on the Proportion of Compromised [Windows] PCs and Security Mess

  • Subject: [News] CIO Articles on the Proportion of Compromised [Windows] PCs and Security Mess
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:38:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Who's Stealing Your Passwords? Global Hackers Create a New Online Crime Economy

,----[ Quote ]
| A sophisticated new breed of online criminals is making it easier than ever
| for the bad guys to engage in identity theft and other cybercrime.
|
| [...]
|
| Like all exploits, Berbew was eventually detected and contained, but, as is
| customary with malware, strands of Berbew’s form-grabbing code were stitched
| into new Trojans that had adapted to defenses. The process is not unlike
| horticulturalists’ grafting pieces of one plant onto another in order to
| create hardier mums.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/135500/

3-part series which is shocking. It shows the security chaos that Toy O/Ses
have brought upon the world.

Related:

The end of Windows, or a security expert gives up

,----[ Quote ]
| And then go and warn others to do the same. Windows is defeated - its days
| are over. It carries the worm inside. So whatever will happen next: RIP,
| Windows.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=456

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Gathering 'Storm' Superworm Poses Grave Threat to PC Nets

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/10/securitymatters_1004