[News] Moglen and Stallman on Free(dom) Culture

  • Subject: [News] Moglen and Stallman on Free(dom) Culture
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:45:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview with Eben Moglen, Professor of Law and Legal History, Columbia
University Law School.

,----[ Quote ]
| Is the adoption of free software in most developing countries driven by
| ideology or by economics?
|
| Local cultural conditions vary enormously in the societies around the world
| where free software is making inroads, and whether the software is seen as
| confirming an ideological presumption in favour of free information or
| presenting a development opportunity seems to me [to be] largely
| unpredictable in advance.
`----

http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/stories/20071019507610000.htm

Stallman Schools Me on "IP"

,----[ Quote ]
| "Intellectual property" is such a loaded term because it carries with it all
| the positive associations that "property" enjoys, at least in modern American
| society. That's why those among us who control the most stuff use it so
| aggressively. (See, for example, the U.N.'s "World Intellectual Property
| Organization.") Though, to nitpick, I'm not sure I entirely agree with the
| distinction Richard makes between patents and copyright. I'd argue that
| copyright is an abstraction, too, as well as a "monopoly created by fiat."
`----

http://www.nancyscola.com/2007/10/stallman_schools_me_on_ip.html

Free Culture: There's more than one way to fight copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we told you about the two Washington chapters of the
| anti-copyright-law group called Students For Free Culture, as posted on the
| group's Web site.
|
| As it turns out, there's only one. And it's at a law school, of all places.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/thebigblog/archives/123426.asp

Free in Speech, Not Cost

,----[ Quote ]
| We stand for a culture where everyone has the right to participate and where
| works are made available for all to legitimately access, share and remix.
| This is a culture that is “free as in speech” — not necessarily one that is
| free of charge.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/opinion/lweb12copyright.html?_r=3&n=Top/Opinion/Editorials%20and%20Op-Ed/Letters&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Why Open-Source Does Not Protect Your Freedom: Richard Stallman Explains Why
Free Software Is The Only Answer

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.personalbee.com/227/20894657