Re: Google 'dominates world search'

On Oct 15, 1:12 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> ____/ ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 11 October 2007 18:16 : \____
>

> >> Oh dear, Microsoft only manages a miserable 3.44%.
>
> > Yes, but raylopez99 is gung-ho on Microsoft stock.  Stock that has
> > been pretty flat for 5 years, especially compared to Google and
> > Apple.  Microsoft doesn't do so well in markets where they don't have
> > a monopoly, do they?  WinCE anyone?  Zune?  Search?
>
> Based on some stuff I've read while on vacation, Microsoft's problem is that
> all the talent runs away and only those who are money-obsessed (never mind
> ability) actually stay on board. The real value is therefore moving elsewhere.
> Windows and Office are legacy with lock-in, so they still bring in some cash.
> Windows is a real 'piece of work', so it's a wonder it's still as prevalent as
> it is. The EU will change this. I read the ruling and it seems like different
> times are ahead.
>
> --
>                 ~~ Best of wishes
>
> Roy S. Schestowitz      | BadVista? I guess it makes Vista a dog.http://Schestowitz.com |    RHAT Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>  21:05:01 up 35 days, 19:11,  7 users,  load average: 1.07, 1.39, 1.61
>      http://iuron.com- Open Source knowledge engine project

Yeah, Ray has a recent post where he's talking about all the talent
Microsoft is hiring.  It's true they can afford to hire talent, but a
recent (maybe 6 weeks ago?) NYT article was about recruiting by
Microsoft, Google and others at computer science departments at places
like Stanford, Berkeley, etc.  The article left the definite
impression that Google was getting the best people.  Microsoft had
some no-comment kind of comment about their successes or lack
thereof.  I'd post this if I could get it, but it's in the archives
now and I'd have to pay.  Meanwhile, there have been several high
profile figures leave Microsoft, cases you have covered in your
postings.