[News] World Yawns at Microsoft's Latest Mafia Tactics Against Linux

  • Subject: [News] World Yawns at Microsoft's Latest Mafia Tactics Against Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:16:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dell: Linux growing despite Microsoft patent threats

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC manufacturer says that Microsoft's patent-infringement claims have not
| affected sales of its Linux servers.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Dell-Linux-growing-despite-Microsoft-patent-threats-/0,339028227,339282929,00.htm

Red Hat: Customers Can Deploy Linux with Confidence

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation dismisses Ballmer's threat as another "FUD attack."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2193713,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Shuttleworth on Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| For starters, Shuttleworth said, Ballmer is implying that open-source
| developers don't take IP seriously. Nothing could be further from the truth,
| he said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2194152,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Why Ballmer's Protection FUD Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Ballmer, the Sopranos and the protection racket.
|
| [...]
|
| "Because they don't, Tony. Er, I mean, Steve. What you're doing is trying to
| set up an extortion racket."
|
| "Oh, yeah? Who knows more about extortion, me or you?"
|
| In this case, I think it's me.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2194962,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

There's extortion going on in Fortune 500, according to Brad Smith. Companies
don't want to admit this because of the wrath of the developers.

Microsoft's Patent Scare Tactics 'Not That Unusual'

,----[ Quote ]
| "Any impact would largely depend on who was the first mover. One likely
| impact of such a lawsuit, regardless of who sues, is that software companies
| may pay closer attention to patents," he said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2194224,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Red Hat Calm In Face Of Microsoft's Renewed Patent Claims

| Red Hat is taking a business-as-usual stance in the face of renewed rumblings
| from Microsoft's Steve Ballmer over the need for Red Hat Linux users to pay
| up.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202401023

Our Present-Day Frankenstein