Re: [Rival] Apple's New Proprietary Toy Already Hacked

____/ Rex Ballard on Wednesday 31 October 2007 04:45 : \____

> On Oct 30, 4:39 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Apple OSX 10.5 hacked in one day
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Unfortunately, even if you own a legitimate copy of Leopard, this kind of
>> | tinkering is against Apple's terms and conditions. Even more unfortunate,
>> | is the fact that Leopard torrents are already swamping the pirate scene.
>> `----
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/28/apple-osx-hack...
>
> This may not be a coincidence or a weakness.  It could be that Apple
> may be wiling to cross-license Leopard to other OEMs who are willing
> to properly and legally license the "patch" from Apple.  The profits
> could be enormous and the OEMs are getting sick of the Vista Debacle.
> Vista is doing great things for Microsoft's bottom line, but Gateway
> is gone, CompUSA closed most of it's retail stores so it's now a ghost
> of it's former self, even Best Buy, Office Max, and Staples are
> feeling the pain of Vista.  These days, retail customers can go to the
> mall and wait up to an hour to test drive a Mac after seeing Vista
> running on a machine that is incapable of running Aero-Glass.

I think part of the pain these retailers feel is a result of Microsoft's
channel-stuffing (plenty of references posted to COLA, some appended again
below), which was only possible due to hype, generated by IDC's 'shill study'
on Vista and the ecosystem. A $500,000,000 marketing budget played a role as
well (the budget has run out by now, I suspect), so Microsoft was happy to
boast 88,000,000 'sales' of Vista. Sadly, all these 'sales' are sitting there
doing nothing in the warehouses of large chains, which get nothing but a pain
and an overdraft. Those that get sold usually get replaced by XP or Linux
anyway.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards