[News] Germany Appears to be Moving to OpenDocument Format, Rejecting Office Files

  • Subject: [News] Germany Appears to be Moving to OpenDocument Format, Rejecting Office Files
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:33:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
German Foreign Office comes out in favor of Open Document Format

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Yadava declared ODF to be a way out of the current file format chaos that
| went hand-in-hand with a high risk of data loss. In other parts of India too
| there is no longer any way around the Open Document Format. "We no longer
| accept Word documents," Yatindra Singh, a judge at the High Court in
| Allahabad, declared. These were not easy to convert into ODF-compatible
| files, he stated.
|
| In Munich where a Linux migration is in progress ODF, according to Florian
| Schießl of the LiMux Project Office, helps reduce the flood of templates and
| macros in the municipal government and push through more uniform file
| management standards. Office Open XML (OOXML), Microsoft's thwarted candidate
| for a second open ISO document standard would, in the opinion of Mr. Schießl,
| not be suitable for comparable tasks because of its complexity.... Following
| a decision reached by the city's municipal council at the end of June and not
| yet made public in a big way the municipal administration of Freiburg in
| southern Germany will in future rely entirely on PDF and ODF. ...
|
| According to Horst Bräuner, the IT director of the German city of
| Schwäbisch-Hall, ODF will be adopted as file format by all agencies and
| departments of the city next year. Criticism of OpenOffice tended to
| evaporate rapidly, he remarked.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/98208

On OOXML, Microsoft seems to have corrupted Germany at the time (see below).
Microsoft can carry on bribing people and cracking down on piracy for the last
ounces of gold, but people are moving elsewhere.

Related:

What Happened in Germany [on OOXML]

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Germany is the new Portugal, actually. You do remember how in
| Portugal IBM and Sun were not allowed in the room because it was
| allegedly "too small" despite having empty chairs? Well, in Germany, Google
| and Deutsche Telekom were allowed in the room but were not allowed to vote,
| heise says.

Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]

,----[ Quote ]
| The present spin doctors of Microsoft and ECMA managed to convince Mr.
| Thomann to reject every serious technical and general concern we had
| regarding OOMXL by pointing to compatibility reasons. At the end we had a
| majority against Microsoft but which (giving the unfair rules) results in a
| Swiss vote for Microsoft. Mr. Thomann was fretting and fuming at the end of
| the meeting how it can be that successful international companies (we had
| representatives from IBM, Google, ...) vote against the best interest of
| their customers and theirself!
|
| Yes, this is how the democratic system at SNV / ISO works. After the meeting
| I could not eat as much as I wanted to puke...
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

ODF Alliance hails record growth in application support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| In total, there are now more than two dozen ODF-supporting text, spreadsheet,
| and presentation applications announced in the past three months
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/26/odf-alliance-hails-record-growth-application-support-for-odf/

South Africa adopts ODF as govt standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African government yesterday announced the adoption of OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) as a standard for government communications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=$id&src=digg

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62030781,00.htm

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Netherlands Picks ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Frank Heemskerk, Minister of Economic Affairs, announced today that ODF will
| be the standard for reading, publishing and the exchange of information for
| all governmental organisations. The deadline is January 2009.
`----

http://gotze.eu/2007/09/netherlands-picks-odf.html

Opendocument_adoption

,----[ Quote ]