Re: [News] Linux CLI Enhanced Even Further

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Keith Windsor
<keith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:07:46 -0400
<47279146$0$14527$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "skydweller" <homeguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> DFS wrote:

>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/29/ars-at-fosscamp-revolutionizing-the-command-line-with-hotwire

>>> "Heavily inspired by Microsoft Powershell..."
>>>
>>> ho hum.  So what else is new?
>>>
>>> Rhetorical question: what technology in the Linux/OSS world isn't
>>> "inspired by", "borrowed from", "based on", "implementation of" a
>>> Microsoft app or other commercial app or technology?
>>
>> I'll answer a rhetorical question with another.
>>
>> Who "borrowed" TCP/IP from whom?
>

> What! Besides the PowerShell features, did those linux bastards steal the
> TCP/IP stack from someone too? Because it sure wasn't Microsoft that
> "borrowed" someone TCP/IP stack.

The original TCP/IP stack is arguably from the Woolongong
group, on Unix.  However, a quick Google indicates that the
first implementation may have been PC/IP from MIT, which
was the basis of the now-defunct company FTP Software, Inc.
KA9Q is the second implementation, and is now largely
useless but may be of interest to historians.

http://www.ka9q.net/code/ka9qnos/

Microsoft should patent TCP/IP at some point; the results
would be interesting. ;-)  However, a quick perusal of
/usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 didn't show anything other than the
rather enigmatic name 'INET' and a GPLv2 license message.

I can't say whom it came from.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
GNU and improved.