Re: Downsize Microsoft

____/ High Plains Thumper on Tuesday 30 October 2007 08:27 : \____

> Although this was written 9 years ago, I find that its truths are
> still apt in light of the current situation of the convicted
> monopoly.
>
> http://www.namebase.org/boycott.html
>
> [quote]
> Downsize Microsoft
>
> The following appeared in Madison PC Users Group's Bits & PCs,
> Vol.17, No.12, December 1998:
>
>  From Love to Hate: Fifteen Years of Microsoft Products
> by Daniel Brandt
> January 1998
>
> While I have only a modest amount of experience with Unix and
> Windows programming, already I find myself asking whether
> Microsoft merely evolved into their clumsy approach to Windows
> application development, or whether there is something more
> sinister going on. Why wouldn't it be possible to design Windows
> so that the time-sharing of processor power and peripheral
> resources is invisible to the applications programmer? Why does
> it have to be so difficult (and expensive) to write a Windows
> application? Is it possible that there are slicker ways to write
> Windows applications, but that Microsoft has reserved these for
> in-house programmers, with the intention that they will be able
> to outperform competitors? In other words, was Windows
> programming made intentionally difficult? Is Microsoft evil, or
> just plain lazy, or are they stupid?
>
> Microsoft is exactly the opposite of the friendly ham down the
> street. Bill Gates keeps leveraging his advantage, keeps raising
> the price of admission, and keeps lowering the productivity of
> computer users everywhere, while contributing little or nothing
> that's innovative or educational. If we downsize this blight on
> our future, someday 14-year-olds around the world may thank us
> once again.
>
> The same can be said for Windows. The more one uses Windows, the
> more one suspects that at some point, Microsoft engineers gave up
> trying to track down the source of quirky or bizarre behavior, or
> even outright crashes, and instead left it to the user to recover
> as best he could. After all, what's the user going to do? Switch
> to another operating system? (One hears chuckles from the
> Microsoft boardroom.) After 14 years of development, Microsoft's
> Notepad, a plain text editor, still can't open a file that's
> larger than about 60 K. (Let them eat Word, chuckle, chuckle.)
>
> Anyone who claims that Microsoft is innovative is 1) incredibly
> stupid or inexperienced in microcomputing, or 2) getting paid by
> Microsoft, perhaps secretly, or 3) all of the above.
> [/quote]

After the EU had win its case against Microsoft it could actually follow the
correct route, which aligns with Judge Jackson's suggestion.

Microsoft Responds as EU Considers Break-Up

,----[ Quote ]
| "It could be reasonable to draw the conclusion that behavioral remedies
| are ineffective and that a structural remedy is warranted," Kroes
| stated. While it may strike many as odd that the European Union
| could order a company located in the United States to split up or
| otherwise modify its structure, Kroes noted the possibility of
| such remedies is specifically mentioned in EU antitrust law.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Responds_as_EU_Considers_BreakUp/1177353952

EU warned to be careful on any Microsoft break-up

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission, Europe's top antitrust regulator, has never
| broken up a company for abusing its market dominance, although it
| has required major divestments by firms seeking permission to merge.
|
| The former U.S. official and other legal experts say the EU executive
| could theoretically impose such a solution on Microsoft as the price
| of doing business in Europe.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070508:MTFH74076_2007-05-08_10-08-57_L03505992&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/ywrzex

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery