[News] Linux Preinstalled on Board, Installed on iPods

  • Subject: [News] Linux Preinstalled on Board, Installed on iPods
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:53:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Intelligent quad gig-E card has Linux onboard

,----[ Quote ]
| GDA Technologies is shipping a PCI Express board with four gigabit Ethernet
| ports, and equipped with an onboard PowerPC processor and embedded Linux OS.

iPod on the Outside, Linux on the Inside

,----[ Quote ]
| iPod Linux runs on first, second and third generation devices. Versions for
| additional players are still under development, according to its developers.
| A functional installation routine is currently only available for Mac
| computers. Installing iPod Linux does not mean going without the familiar
| Apple firmware.

Liberating iPods in Cambridge

,----[ Quote ]
| During the event, dubbed iRony, users were walked through the
| process of installing flexible and featureful free/open source
| software firmware -- without DRM -- onto their digital audio players.
|
| [...]
|
| Organizers set up laptops running Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Mac OS X,
| and Windows XP at the center of the room. iPod users brought
| their players to experienced users, who would determine the
| generation of the iPod and the current partition format, and
| inquire about the user's needs. Together they would decide on
| a firmware (RockBox, iPodLinux, or both) and walk through the
| process of installation. Meanwhile, others looked on to watch
| the process and learn how it was done. RockBox was installed
| on the majority of the iPods with great success.
`----

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/2146245&from=rss

iTop

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I call it a laptop, and it technically is.  It is able to run a
| full OS (Linux).  And has full UIs.
`----

http://web.mac.com/owenmcgarry/iWeb/Downloads/Downloads/10E5A5E6-7AE6-4BFD-B454-11CBC427A9A1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yw3bh2