[News] Studies Show That Free Open Source Software Catches on

  • Subject: [News] Studies Show That Free Open Source Software Catches on
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:23:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source gaining traction in the enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Most open-source adopters are driven by financial concerns, 67 percent of the
| adherents say that cost saving is the primary reason for adopting open
| source; the second most popular reason -- avoiding vendor lock-in - is cited
| by just 28 percent of respondents.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1162060202&rid=-50

Open source: The most disruptive influence in IT today

,----[ Quote ]
| The surge in Linux deployments can be attributed to two distinct factors,
| Analyst Bill McNee said at the time. “Part of the surge is not necessarily
| due to Linux itself, but instead is due to the fact that the entire open
| source applications stack that sits above Linux is now ready for prime time,”
| he said.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/29/open-source-the-most-disruptive-influence-in-it-today/

Yesterday:

Open source to hit $22 billion by 2010. What this means for Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this number jumps to $41 billion if you add in the $19 billion
| that enterprises will invest in internal open-source development instead of
| wasting it on proprietary software licenses, according to Morgan Stanley...
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9806036-16.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

Related:

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht,
| will tell the Open Ireland conference in Dublin that the spend in the
| US on free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) stands at 36bn
| Euros and accounts for 20pc of software spend in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850

Open source funding: the complete picture

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to VC funding, we also took a look at the amounts raised
| by open source vendors via initial public offerings. These figures
| are not included in the totals of $1.89bn or $2.02bn, but for those
| that are interested, between them Red Hat, VA, Caldera, Mandriva,
| Turbolinux and Trolltech raised $319.9m via their IPOs.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/open_source_fun_2.html

Why do vendors invest in open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Harvard Business School has published the preliminary draft
| an interesting report that confirms one thing we probably could
| have guessed - that vendors invest in open source for economic,
| rather than altruistic, reasons - and calculates a number of
| things we probably couldn't - such as the fact that vendors
| invested $2bn in open source software between 1995 and 2005.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/12/why_do_vendors.html

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]