[News] Uruguay and Vietnam Get Linux Laptops for Their Children, OLPC Improves

  • Subject: [News] Uruguay and Vietnam Get Linux Laptops for Their Children, OLPC Improves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:13:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Uruguay buys first $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The first official order for the so-called "$100 laptop" has been placed by
| the government of Uruguay.

An additional 300,000-unit order next year.

Intel's OLPC-killer heads for Vietnamese retailers

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Hacao Classmate PC" is based on Intel's Classmate PC design, and will
| come pre-installed with Hacao Linux, a Vietnamese-language Linux distribution
| based on Puppy Linux.
`----      ^^^^^^^^^^^

OLPC developing new 'supercharger'

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO batteries do not work on normal laptops, which can sap up to 40 watts
| of power depending on usage, Jepsen said.
|
| The XO is also the first laptop that uses only alternative energy, Jepsen
| said. Low-cost solar panels are great as a power option where there is plenty
| of sunlight, Jepsen said. Energy is especially scare in developing nations,
| so the laptop will hopefully pass on energy preservation lessons, which could
| help preserve battery life in the XO, Jepsen said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=558184569&rid=-50

The unit now costs $200, but costs will fall at mass-production stages.

Recent:

LATU Uruguay Buying 100,000 OLPC XO's Over Classmate PC!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We now have the results from the first open competition for government
| purchases of laptops designed for 1:1 implementation in public schools, the
| Ceibal Uruguay RFP.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/uruguay/uruguay_buying_olpc_xo_intel_classmate.html

$100 laptop program still eyes India

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called $100 laptops for children may make it to India after all.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/10/25/100.laptop.india.ap/index.html

Related:

Danish school kid's verdict on the OLPC laptop: It's cool!

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we could make good use of it in my class," said Karl Emil as he
| tries to grab the XO from us in order to take it to school the following day.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=541246057&rid=-50

'$100 laptop' production begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of
| all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.
| Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders
| for 3m laptops to make production viable. The first machines should be ready
| to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.

Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops

| Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a
| popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore
| the Linux operating system.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070518/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2

Villa Cardal, Uruguay: Center of worldwide attention

,----[ Quote ]
| The experience was incredible, there are many details to comment
| that I promise to continue blogging in the next days. At the moment
| you can see the gallery of photos that I took in the place.
`----

http://olpc-ceibal.blogspot.com/2007/05/villa-cardal-uruguay-world-center-of.html

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/kids-in-jiri-love-xo.html