Re: [News] ODF adoption booming

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:53:31 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:50:37 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ [H]omer on Sunday 28 October 2007 18:50 : \____
>>
>>> ODF Alliance hails record growth in application support for ODF
>>>
>>> .----
>>> `----
>>>

>> http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/26/odf-alliance-hails-record-growth-application-support-for-odf/
>>>
>>> How many support Oh-Oh-XML, I wonder?
>>
>> None. Microsoft Office 2007 implements something that supports a derivative of
>> OOXML. Remember: Microsoft has admitted that it has no commitment to support
>> OOXML, even if it passes the ISO acid test. IOW, Microsoft can continue
>> to 'extend' and take its fully proprietary route, even without this cloak
>> called OOXML (which fool some people that may no longer consider it
>> proprietary). XML != Open.
>>
>> A lot more could be said...
>
> What complete and utter BS.  Sun hasn't committed to supporting ODF either,

How is it BS? Since you agree MS hasn't committed to supporting ooXml...

> in fact their patent pledge gives them an out if they decide not to.
>
> In your flippant "none" comment, you ignore the fact that StarOffice didn't
> support ISO ODF at first either, they had to release an update to things
> that changed in the standards process.  That's precisely the state that
> Office is in, the only deviations are things that changed during the
> standards process.
>
> What's more, besides Star/Open office and it's forks, there are 0 complete
> implementations of ODF either.  And that's to be expected, because
> otherwise they'd just be copies of OpenOffice.  An app cannot implement
> 100% of either standard unless they support 100% of the features of that
> standard.

Then there will never be a non-MS 100% implementation of OOXML since MS
maintains copyright on bits required by parts of it. Hell, with that
definition of yours, there will probably never be a 100% implemention
of OOXML even from MS.

"The only cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
  -Dorothy Parker