[News] [Rival] Crysis Alleged "Fraud" -- Marketing for Microsoft?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Crysis Alleged "Fraud" -- Marketing for Microsoft?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:22:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Crysis DX10 Fraud Exposed - DX9 to DX10 Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Crytek developers have deliberately crippled Crysis for the only purpose of
| marketing DX10 and Windows Vista. the proof is a simple config file tweak
| allows the use of 'Very High' quality textures, shadows, etc on DX9 and
| WinXP.
`----

http://haleyshothouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5159

Related:

Valve questions Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Half-Life 2 developer Valve thinks that Microsoft's current
| "Games for Windows" marketing push is a cynical ploy to sell
| more copies of Windows Vista, rather than a genuine effort to
| invigorate the PC gaming market.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/valve_questions_microsofts_commitment/

Vista Offers Nothing to Gamers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just a small sampling of games obviously, but for our
| intended experiment, I think they did the trick. We wanted to
| simulate what a normal gamer might go through in order to play
| games on Vista, and the end result was just slightly more hassle
| than you would with XP.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/01/vista_offers_nothing_to_gamers_uk/index.html

DX9 and DX10 performance compared

,----[ Quote ]
| So, it seems, there is some difference to crow about - although it is our
| suspicion that, given the time and inclination, most of the flasher DX10
| features could be retro-fitted without much hassle, and the differences are
| more a product of time and money than capability.

Inside CNET Labs: Lamenting DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| We compared the same title side by side on a system running DX10 on Vista to
| the same title on an identical system running DX9 on XP, and it's
| difficult--sometimes impossible--to detect significant differences in how the
| games look or perform.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9750536-1.html

Adding DX10 has "done nothing"

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tested the DX10 rendering path against the DX9 version, the chaps at
| the fantastically named Elite Bastards say that they can't "Help but feel a
| little disappointed to see yet another game where the inclusion of DirectX 10
| functionality has done nothing for the title either graphically or from
| performance standpoint".

OpenGL 2.x and 3.0 APIs arrive this year

,----[ Quote ]