[News] Apple Snubs Java, Acknowledges Problems, Spies on Linux Phone

  • Subject: [News] Apple Snubs Java, Acknowledges Problems, Spies on Linux Phone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:17:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple's Leopard rejects latest version of Java

,----[ Quote ]
| Leopard may have 300 new features, but it is unable to run Java 1.6, even
| though that same version is available for both Windows and Linux. That has
| taken some Mac users by surprise, including some on this user forum on
| Apple's website.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/10/29/no_java_for_leopard/

Apple acknowledges some Leopard installation problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple said the problem could be related to "application enhancement
| software," and a Computerworld article identified Unsanity's APE software as
| the source of many complaints.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9806005-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OpenMoko: Apple goes Big Brother...

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you may have seen this post in the forums, but since they are not the
| most lively place right now I thought I might throw it up on the front page.
| I just thought it was interesting to see an apple employee taking so much
| interest in the site by spending 23 minutes here...researching
| the "competition"?
`----

http://mobilemoko.net/?p=17

Related:

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

Forget iPhone, hail OpenMoko, the true revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I would rather wait for OpenMoko to become available for purchase
| than shell out high bucks for iPhone. Just like with any Apple
| product, it is like an awesome looking golden cage. I always
| preferred freedom to control my own digital devices than to be
| mostly dependent on one vendor for everything.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/forget_iphone_hail_openmoko_the_true_revolution

Open Phones with Open Moko

,----[ Quote ]
| While the hardware may be similar, the strategy is a complete
| reversal of Apple's closed platform and proprietary hardware.
| OpenMoko is an open Linux-based mobile application development
| platform that's designed to help operators and developers build
| innovative applications on top of a basic phone platform.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/01/15/open_phone/

iPhone Security Hellhole?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems
| that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security
| blunder of the 21st century to date?

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Some Leopard upgraders see 'blue screen of death'

,----[ Quote ]
| A significant number of Mac owners upgrading to Leopard on Friday reported
| that after installing the new operating system, their machines locked up,
| showing only an interminable -- and very Windows-like -- "blue screen of
| death."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9044378

New iMacs plagued by interface freezing issues

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/new_imacs_plagued_by_interface_freezing_issues.html