[News] Sun Embraces the GPL (Dual) for NetBeans

  • Subject: [News] Sun Embraces the GPL (Dual) for NetBeans
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 06:58:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun Dual-Licenses NetBeans

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has announced that the latest version of its open-source
| application development platform, NetBeans Version 6.0 Beta 2, is now
| dual-licensed.

"Did I Mention It Was Free?"

,----[ Quote ]
| McNealy pointed out the "quite interesting franchises" Sun has turned into
| open source technology, including its Solaris operating system, its Java
| technology, and the IP for its Sparc processors. "We're open sourcing
| anything and everything we can," he said. ("Did I mention it was free?")
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/did_i_mention_i.html

Related:

Sun proposes GPL/CDDL dual license for NetBeans

,----[ Quote ]
| Bruno Souza is the NetBeans Community Manager for Sun these days. And he had
| an interesting suggestion for a new license model for NetBeans 6.0: We are
| considering releasing a future early access version of NetBeans 6.0 under a
| dual licensing scheme of CDDL and GPL v2 with Classpath exception. Whoa!
`----

http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2007/08/17/sun-proposes-gplcddl-dual-license-for-netbeans/

Sun set to open source Java products

,----[ Quote ]
| We won't see any huge wave until after that occurs. I suspect that the
| most interesting sort of case for that will be to see what will happen
| on the Linux platform, which is one of the reasons why GPL is such a
| prudent choice here [for Java].
|
| With a platform with a compatible licence to that of Linux ...what
| effect it will have on the Linux community and their use of Java on
| the Linux distribution it is a proof point.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/1BADF7624C780F9ACC2572D8000377F1

McNealy says Sun evaluating OpenSolaris on GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been nearly 8 million downloads of Solaris in the last
| two years, and there are 900 systems certified to run Solaris,
| which is more than any Linux distribution, McNealy said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070509/tc_infoworld/88402

Sun likes what it sees in the new GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| And regarding Java, Schwartz said in an interview: "We did version 2
| with Java because version 3 wasn't out. When we have version 3, Java
| will likely go to 3."
|
| Sun is considering the GPLv3 because it wants to appeal to developers
| who favor the GPL. Another factor is a patent protection expected to
| feature in the new version of the license, Schwartz added.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6157761.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Sun to release OpenSolaris under GPL version 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun is going to add the upcoming GNU General Public License version
| 3 (GPLv3) to OpenSolaris in addition to its current CDDL (Common
| Development and Distribution License).

Will GPLv3 energize Free Software, or marginalize the FSF?

,----[ Quote ]
| As written, GPLv3 threatens to fork GNU projects and marginalize
| the Free Software Foundation, writes Linux observer Bill Weinberg
| in this well-written essay. Drawing on long experience
| evangelizing open source licensing to business users, Weinberg
| suggests that the FSF's GPLv3 high road could be a lonesome one.

Will Sun Use GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/about_gplv3