Re: [News] One Patent Troll/'Patent Terrorist' (Microsoft) Stung by Another, Attacks Linux with Patents

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 26 October 2007 15:17 : \____

>> Timeline wins $5M from Microsoft in patent settlement

>>| According to Timeline's SEC filing last week, Microsoft agreed to pay
>>| Timeline $5 million within 14 days as part of the settlement. Timeline,
>>| which describes itself as a "company ... solely focused on commercializing
>>| its ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>| patent portfolio," had sued the Redmond computer giant and its subsidiary
>>| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>| ProClarity Corp. for patent infringement.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071022/1538829.html?.v=1
>
> The problem is that this is precisely what Microsoft want to happen.
> They want software patents to become legitimised, as the short-sighted
> fools of the world begin to think that they can compete with creative
> people just by buying patents.
>
> The whole approach is being used as a means to deprive creative people
> from the fruits of their labours, and instead, to hand them over to
> companies made up mainly of lawyers.

That's just why the giants hijack/annul the voice of the little guy and
legislate in favour of this broken USPTO (while at the same time shedding
crocodile tears because they must fool everyone).

Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

,----[ Quote ]
| He will be part of a lineup that includes the Microsoft Corp. CEO
| Steve Ballmer, 3M CEO George Buckley, UPS Chairman and CEO Michael Eskew,
| IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano and Wal-Mart Stores Vice Chairman John
| Menzer.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.v=2

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

But hey! Even Gates know the system is broken, but he did his crimes to get
past the honest guys, so now he builds walls like a paranoid.

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Charity: compensating for a broken system rather than actually fixing it
 15:20:04 up 10 days, 5 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.71, 0.51, 0.66