[News] Reviews of PCLinuxOS2007 and Gobuntu Linux (no Binary Blobs)

  • Subject: [News] Reviews of PCLinuxOS2007 and Gobuntu Linux (no Binary Blobs)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:43:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Another Day Another Distro – Part 4 – PCLinuxOS 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| So after my positive experience of Mandriva 2008 it was time to reluctantly
| pack my bags and move on. My destination this time was PCLinuxOS 2007 which
| is not a distribution I'd tried before.
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2007/10/another-day-another-distro-part-4.html

Gobuntu [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the good news: it all seems to be working fine. Since I was doing a
| clean install (again, see below), and because my laptop has an AMD Turion
| chip in it, I went for the 64-bit version. (Thanks to Dave Morley for taking
| the time to tell me whether the 64-bit version was worth it.) Everything
| works; no problems at all. Good work, the Gobuntu team.
`----

http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2007/10/23/gobuntu

Related:

PCLinuxOS: Linux Distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| One notable difference from Mandriva is the program used to install
| extra software. We found this much easier to use and includes useful
| software such as graphics drivers.
|
| Unlike some other distributions, PCLinuxOS can play back
| proprietary multimedia files (including wma, mp3, mpg, rm,
| mov) without having to install extra software. DVD playback
| software is not included but can be installed with the
| standard installation tool.
`----

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/downloads/2191819/pclinuxos-linux-distribution

Review: PcLinuxOS 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| While PcLinuxOS does still have a bit of growing to do, out of all the
| linux distributions out there, I'd easily rate this one as the best in
| every way because of all that it does, how easy it is to use, how ready
| it is to use out of the box, and most especially in the area of
| appeasing both camps, the new user and the experienced user.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=249

PClinuxOS 2007.0 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I am a Kubuntu user since version 6.06. However, that hasn't made
| me blindly consider (k)ubuntu to be the best linux distro; I am
| always open to newcomers. In recent days, PClinuxOS 2007.0 was
| released, and quickly hit the top of of the distrowatch charts.
| I decided to download it and give this relatively new distribution
| a text run on my Acer Aspire 5050 laptop, nicknamed the geebee.
`----

http://nosrednaekim.wordpress.com/2007/05/30/pclinuxos-20070-review/

PCLinuxOS Magazine October 2007 Released

,----[ Quote]
| As we always do, the HTML version is simultaneously being published for low
| bandwidth users.  The HTML Site is W3C standards compliant for easy browsing.
|
| Some highlights include:
|
|    1. Tips for a Cooler Laptop
|    2. KDE User Guide, Part 9
|    3. The Hardware Database Needs You
|    4. Keyboard Shortcuts
|    5. How to repair a broken xorg.conf
|    6. And more...
`----

http://www.pclosmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=28

PCLinuxOS - the new Number One distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS As many of you noticed, PCLinuxOS has overtaken Ubuntu in our Page
| Hit Ranking statistics and is currently occupying the top spot on the default
| 6-month view for the first time.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070917#editorial

Heavenly Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Printer, camera, scanner--all detected and configured in less than 2 minutes.
| PCLinuxOS has knocked my socks off!
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-09-26-014-26-RV-DT-MD

Installing Gobuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation process of Gobuntu is text mode-based, and it is quite
| painful for most users, because it will not detect modern hardware, such as
| SCSI hard drives. So unless you have an IDE hard drive, don't even bother to
| follow the next steps.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Gobuntu-7-10-59788.shtml

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

Gobuntu is… go

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to Colin and Evan’s efforts we now have daily images of a
| freedom-focused flavour of Ubuntu, “Gobuntu”.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/130

Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available
| in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today.
|
| [...]
|
| In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in
| collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense". gNewsense is a Linux
| distribution backed by the Free Software Foundation that removes all
| non-free material from Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Ubuntu-s-Gibbon-gets-free/0,339028227,339274828,00.htm

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1

Press Release 20070122 - gNewSense 1.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/PressRelease20070122

gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=gNewSense%20KDE%201.1

GNewSense 1.0 Screenshot Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation has announced the inaugural stable
| release of gNewSense, an Ubuntu-based distribution, modified to
| include Free Software only...
`----

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/?q=node/26

gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1851