[News] Sun and Mozilla Resort to Tactless Marketing

  • Subject: [News] Sun and Mozilla Resort to Tactless Marketing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:17:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun promoting OpenOffice through pop-up ads

,----[ Quote ]
| I guess it works for V1@gr@ and security software, so why shouldn't Sun
| advertise OpenOffice through obnoxious pop-up ads? Install Java, get...spam?
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9804168-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Why is Mozilla selling out free software?

,----[ Quote ]
| And you do realize that other manufacturers offer laptops pre-loaded with
| Firefox and Linux, right?
`----

http://www.gavinbaker.com/2007/10/23/why-is-mozilla-selling-out-free-software/

So Mozilla gives proprietary, DRM-oriented software and hardware. Novell once
did the same with iPods got criticised (long before the deal with Microsoft).

...And then there are pro-open source people who use Macs, whose partent
company seems to /hate/ Linux.

Related:

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| As recently reported on Slashdot, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has added a
| checksum to the iPod database apparently to restrict non-iTunes products
| (like Amarok via libgpod) from having the ability to add music.
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

Apple promises to kill unlocked Iphones

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/apple-promises-to-kill-unlocked-iphones