[News] More on Linux in Tamil Nadu (and It's Ubuntu, Not Just Microsoft SUSE)

  • Subject: [News] More on Linux in Tamil Nadu (and It's Ubuntu, Not Just Microsoft SUSE)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:05:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Visually challenged professional on a mission

,----[ Quote ]
| He is in the city on an invitation from the Electronics Corporation of Tamil
| Nadu (ELCOT) to install the Orca open source (Linux) and free software for
| use by the visually handicapped persons and to educate ELCOT officials.
| Incidentally, the State’s Rehabilitation Department had given Rs. 5 lakh to
| the ELCOT for purchase of a computer.
|
| “I have been using proprietary software since 1988 and have moved to
| non-proprietary software since 2000, as it gave the much needed freedom. The
| proprietary software is costlier than the costliest laptops. The users are
| under the mercy of software firms, since they are not allowed to carry out
| customisation as per their needs. Hence, I started popularising Ubuntu, a
| community developed operating system on open source,” he said at the
| inaugural session on Monday.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/10/25/stories/2007102558320500.htm

Related:

Linux gets clicking in TN govt projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The global debate of proprietary software versus open source has
| caught up in the government agencies in Tamil Nadu too. However,
| open-source Linux operating system (OS) seems to have found its
| way into almost all the upcoming government IT projects.
`----

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=165633

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/supplier-relations/news/index.cfm?newsid=3114

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
| villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
| their way.
|
| Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
| installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
| servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
| government officials in Linux and Open Office too.

First phase of Korea's open-source city is high success

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the trend of open source adaptation in major cities worldwide,
| one of the major Korean cities, Gwangju Metropolitan City, successfully
| jumped onto the open source transition, receiving spotlight from related
| industry.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39154182,00.htm

LiMux The Penguin: Deep into Munich's Linux F/OSS migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's Linux migration has been a publicity frenzy, a
| software patent poster child, and the subject of a debate
| on the role of government in technology mandates. Now it's
| a real-life IT project, and the key to success is training,
| management, and replacing 170 non-Linux applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, after enormous criticism and a nearly complete halt,
| it's becoming a successful migration if for very important
| reasons: it's going well, quietly, and on plan.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110606-munich-linux.html

Ten of the biggest Dutch municipalities say 'enough!' to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]