[News] Companies Fake 'Open Source' Just Like the Monopoly Abuser?

  • Subject: [News] Companies Fake 'Open Source' Just Like the Monopoly Abuser?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:58:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Misys aims to open source healthcare, but forgets the source

,----[ Quote ]
| What benefits will Misys derive from open source if it doesn't engage an
| external development community? Microsoft and others have been sharing source
| for some time, under proprietary licenses. That's not open source, and I
| don't believe that is what Misys has in mind. So why not do more than issue
| bold press releases? Open source is not marketing. It's an extended
| engagement with a community larger than any one person or company.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9803622-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The 'open source' feeds are becoming littered with all that Microsoft
proprietary stack + arbitrary 'open' blocks of code thing. Especially after
that suicidal OSI approval...

Related:

Using open source as a marketing ploy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/more_open_sourc.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft says open-source software is un-American. Has the
| company completely lost its mind?
|
| - - - - - - - - - - - -
| By Andrew Leonard
|
| Feb. 15, 2001 | Once upon a time, Microsoft executives confined
| their criticism of Linux and free software to old-fashioned FUD
| -- fear, uncertainty and doubt. Linux wasn't good enough for
| enterprise-class systems, they declared. You couldn't get
| quality support, and it was too hard and clunky for average users.
|
| Fair enough. But now, judging by comments made Wednesday by
| Microsoft's operating systems chief Jim Allchin (and reported
| by Bloomberg News), it turns out that free and open-source
| software is something far worse than anyone could possibly have
| imagined. It is nothing less than a threat to the American
| way of life! "
`----

http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/2001/02/15/unamerican/index.html

The irony of Ballmer's projected buying spree

.----

`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9800503-16.html