[News] [Rival] Austria Wants You to Use Windows and Then Spy on You

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Austria Wants You to Use Windows and Then Spy on You
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:21:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Austria OKs terror snooping Trojan plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Austria has become one of the first countries to officially sanction the use
| of Trojan Horse malware as a tactic for monitoring the PCs of suspected
| terrorists and criminals.
|
| [...]
|
| Would-be terrorists need only use Ubuntu Linux to avoid the ploy. And even if
| they stuck with Windows their anti-virus software might detect the malware.
| Anti-virus firms that accede to law enforcement demands to turn a blind eye
| to state-sanctioned malware risk undermining trust in their software, as
| similar experience in the US has shown.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/23/teutonic_trojan/

Same situation in Germany and the FBI was caught doing similar things in the
US. For most people -- you don't own your O/S, your computer, and not even the
data which is on it.  Unless you use Linux, the government can have a joyride
through everything that's on your hard-drive (and it will, and no warrant it
needed, so it'll be abused). They even receive decryption keys (new UK laws
make it mandatory) and they can handle filesystem encryption (the British
police, for example, had secret meetings with Microsoft last year, for FS
encryption in Vista).

Recent:

Schäuble renews calls for surreptitious online searches of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| In his speech towards the end of the national conference of the Junge Union,
| the youth organization of the ruling conservative Christian Democratic Union
| (CDU), in Berlin the Federal Minister of the Interior Wolfgang Schäuble has
| again come out in favor of allowing authorities to search private PCs
| secretly online and of deploying the German Armed Forces in Germany in the
| event of an emergency.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/97755/from/rss09

Related:

German spyware plans trigger row

,----[ Quote ]
| The e-mails would contain Trojans - software that secretly installs itself on
| suspects' computers, allowing agents to search the hard drives.

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

`----

http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/United_States_Government_Online_Watchdogs?_Part_of_the_war_on_terror?.../

United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

| Is there anyone in the abandonia community with a US based connection who is
| experiencing this watchdog behavior? Are any foreign Vista users experiencing
| similar attacks from their own countries ministries and governing agencies?"
`----

http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/United_States_Government_Online_Watchdogs?_Part_of_the_war_on_terror?.../

Back doors in Windows XP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGlNTEQ0RzM

Mother of all spyware...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Is My Boss Reading My Personal E-mail?

,----[ Summary ]
| Your employer can monitor all electronic communication
| to and from work equipment, especially when it's sent
| over the corporate network
`----

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061025_457356.htm

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/