Re: WARNING: device driver updates causing Vista to deactivate

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 23 October 2007 18:42 : \____

> <Quote>
> After weeks of gruelling troubleshooting, I've finally had it
> confirmed by Microsoft Australia and USA -- something as small as
> swapping the video card or updating a device driver can trigger a
> total Vista deactivation.
> </Quote>
>
> http://apcmag.com/vista_activation/

It's not exactly news. IIRC, even changing RAM sticks can trigger this lethal
reaction. I read about such experiences.

I wonder if partitioning has the same effect. This afternoon I bought another
0.32TB hard-drive and Linux is partitioning the drive as I write this
(changing NTFS to ext3). All GUI... clicky and pointy. So if the hard-drive
partition is rewritten, does Vista panic and give BSoD (Black, not blue)?

,----[ Quote ]
| In an e-mail to a large Windows Vista OEM distributor titled "Pirated Vista -
| A darkness descends!", a local Microsoft representative made it quite clear
| what Vista pirates can expect to happen to their unlicensed installations.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's new tough anit-piracy move also proves the company still controls
| its software releases with an iron fist, but it marks the first global use of
| heavy-handed tactics for pirated copies of Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1029262671&rid=-50

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  INQredible Hacktivism
Tasks: 113 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie