Re: Consumers reject low quality OSS alternatives. Seem to be very happy with quality name brand products.

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 23 October 2007 16:05 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, raylopez99 belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>
>>> Admitedly, this was 10 years ago with RedHat 5 I think it was, but
>>> I'm STILL PISSED OFF.  NEVER AGAIN.  NEVER.
>
> 10 years?
>
> You haven't tried Linux in *10 years*?
>
> And all this venom and abusiveness stems from an experience you had ...
> *10 years ago*?
>
> My, my - you /do/ have some surprises coming.
>
> For God's sake man, take the COLA challenge:
>
> http://www.mandriva.com/en/product/mandriva-linux-one
>
> Go on, do it. You know you want to. You don't even have to be a
> free-loader like us Lienux® Looneys®, since you can /pay/ for Mandriva
> if you want. Yes /pay/! Think about that ... a genuine opportunity to
> /spend/ money. It just doesn't get any better than that, does it?
>
> Think of it this way; imagine how much more /accurately/ you'll be able
> to criticise Linux once you have some experience of using a /modern/
> distro. No more guesswork, you'll be sharp as a button. You'll be able
> to mercilessly torch us all with your flames, with pinpoint accuracy.
>
>> 12 years ago I tried Windows NT 3.5. STILL PISSED OFF.  NEVER AGAIN.
>> NEVER.
>
> A quarter of a century ago, I tried the Apple IIe.
> STILL PISSED OFF.  NEVER AGAIN.  NEVER.
>
> Never again will I get to sit in the warm glow of that phosphorous green
> monitor, and hide files by renaming them with control characters, to
> confound the teacher as he desperately searched for games (which we
> weren't supposed to have).
>
> Never.
>
> Oh well.

I used a Mac at work for over a year. It felt like a toy. It did all kinds
of 'pretty things', but it rarely got the job done... not even basic Web
development. To be fair, that was Mac OS 9. I had a Mandrake box at the
office, but it was an old (probably Pentium I) box, so responsiveness wasn't a
quality. Can't recall for sure what the specs were like... later I received a
4th machine for the office and then got relocated to a new office that had a
modern Dell. I put Ubuntu 4.10 on it, but only because I couldn't find the
distros that I liked around MCC (home of the first Linux distro, ironically
enough). Owen seems to still favour Debian.

Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"