Re: [News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] Microso... errr... Citrix Snatch of XenSource Approved without FTC's Attention
  • From: BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:02:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/news/news.asp?newsID=683171&ntref=hp_article_headlines_US

> Puppet strategy.

I would say that Citrix buying XenSource is a natural marriage. Citrix is
big and growing, the need for virtual OS's (partial or full) and virtual
applications (partial or full) is going to grow. It will very likely grow
to being the primary source of OS services and application software.
Particularly in business, but maybe in the home too.

So really XenSource working inside of Citrix is very likely a good move for
both of them.

Citrix's biggest problem is the speed, the balance between how much of an
application should be local and how much remote needs constant assessment,
probably in the end becoming very dynamic depending on the client's
capabilities. For that very close work with XenSource will be needed.

The model is traditionaly different in the UNIX/Linux world, but obviously
we have to be able to accommodate the main desk clients too, MS.

I am still a firm believer though that Linux has remote apps right, we have
the speed advantage because the split is natural to our OS. MS apps for
what ever reason have got it wrong in that much more than the user
interface is passed to the clients, you effectively end up with a full Word
or Excell downloaded to the clients. Even saying it like that, it is so
obviously wrong.

Citrix do make it clear that the openness of Xen will not be deminished. I
think we can trust them to keep to this because Xen as others of the type,
need outside players. A host is no use at all if there is no one willing to
be hosted.