Re: [News] Another Kick-ass Column from Jeremy Allison on INNOVA~1

> Change and development with open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software.

You would think so wouldn't you. It certainly was the case. But is it still
true?

There were many years where the visual could be used to show that something
has changed, because that side was developing along side underlying and
unrelated code. That seems to have grown such that only the visual is used
as an indicator of innovation in some minds, computer mags have always been
that way, if each of MS's new products had looked too much the same as it's
predicessor, then it got panned. Linux mags are just a guilty of this.

I was always disapointed with the reaction that Gnome got, they seemed to
have gone quiet for a while, I think it was about two years with nothing
major coming out, only very minor updates here and there. Then they
released 2.x, there had done very little with the visual, but there had
been a huge amount of work underneath, it was very obvious that the gnome
teams had been far from idle. It was stream lined, incredibly stable, all
the xml work to make using and customizing Gnome much much easier for
vendors.

But most jernos didn't touch any of the work that had been done, instead all
we got were reports that it's 'Just the same as the last version, except a
kewl new button bitmap ....', or they would quote the gnome site page, not
deviating at all, probably because they didn't understand what it was
telling them.

I always dreaded that one day the jernos and the fashion fags would drive
Linux in the same direction as Windows. Don't forget that much of MS Win's
driving force came from mags and the public shouting for " ... kewl stuff
as quick as possible, no time for a full test mate, we want it NOW!!!".

I think some areas of Linux are pushing far too close to that side of things
for Linux's own good. Linux is only here at all because of the gentle plod,
adding and developing where needed, in the time that it takes to do it,
rush jobs only when a problem has to be fixed on already released code.
With new additions being more rare, but being thought out.