[News] Oracle F**ks Red Hat

[Forks, that is]

Oracle Linux is no longer simply an RHEL clone

,----[ Quote ]
| First, let's make this clear. Oracle Unbreakable Linux was, is now and is for
| the foreseeable future going to be based on Red Hat's Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux codebase. It is not, however, going to be simply RHEL's twin in every
| way.

Oracle's mixed messages on "compatibility" with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| No offense, Oracle, but if it looks like a fork, smells like a fork, and acts
| like a fork, it's a fork, and "fully compatible" is simply not a credible
| guarantee. You can't change someone else's code and crown it "fully
| compatible."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772650-16.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/oracle_uln_red_hat/

Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
| future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/27/shuttleworth_oscon_ubuntu/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

,----[ Quote ]
| After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
| of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
| the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
| strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market.
|
| Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/07/is_unbreakable_1.html

Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
| have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
| of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128259.html?part=rss&tag=6128259&subj=news

Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1226514,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk