Re: [News] Mandriva Interview and Good Review in DistroWatch Weekly and Elsewhere

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:12:22 +0100, BearItAll wrote:

> So we now have the possition when Mandriva is again said to be a very good
> product, that those who have been bitten on the bum before are not willing
> to fly over to the Mandriva site and shell out even a tenner, until they
> are certain that the release is safe to try.

Well at least there is MandrivaOne. It's pretty good.

> Particularly as these problems were at the time of Suse 9.3, probably the
> most major release of all distros. If Suse won you over at that time, it
> was very hard to move anywhere else, 9.3 whether you set it as a server or
> client was many rungs up the ladder compared to the other distro versions
> of that time. It was a natural attraction for those who had been Mandrake
> lovers, and frankly, for me at least, openSuse is still at least a small
> head above the others. SLED and SLES though are those several rungs above.

I switched to SUSE, too, eventually, though I'd like to go back to
Mandriva if the promising improvements shown in the latest release prove
to be solid.

Though I did buy one of the Madrake powerpacks, I usually installed the
free version, which was generally very good, up until 2006. It was the
failings of this and following releases that eventually drove me from
Mandriva.

> Others of that ilk will no doubt be in the Ubuntu camp now, or maybe the new
> Fedora which I looked at last night because Roy mentioned briefly how
> impressed he was with it.

Good as it undoubtedly is, I've never quite clicked with Fedora. I used
Red Hat at one time, without it ever feeling quite right for me, and
Fedora is the same.

> So it is hard to see where Mandriva's new users will come from or how they
> go about winning back the confidence of those who left Mandriva behind. But
> can't help feeling a pang of old loyalty boiling up every time I see them
> mentioned.

The new release looks extremely good. Mandriva seems to be getting back on
track at last.

--
Kier