Re: 2 million Euros per day

____/ Ramon F Herrera on Tuesday 23 October 2007 01:20 : \____

> ps: notice that Neely and Blamer had a private tete-a-tete in a nice
> restaurant in Amsterdam. I bet he was a very polite gentleman and
> didn't toss a single chair.
>
> "Steve: I asked for a tossed *salad*!"

No, he asked for intellectual property (newspeak for "software patents", which
are illegal in europe) because his rival "have obligations" to pay Microsoft
after it deliberately corrupted standard.

Let's Make a Deal - The MS-EU Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The patent part is terrible. Worse than terrible. They are not blocked from
| offering patent deals, only constrained as to how much to charge for a
| license, which is not and never was the issue. So they'll beef up those
| initiatives, I'm sure. However, the good part is that they were compelled to
| separate the patent license offer out and make it optional. Thanks, but no
| thanks.
|
| [...]
|
| I'm guessing Microsoft lawyers are high fiving each other, having snatched an
| important victory from utter and total defeat. The rest is excellent, of
| course, and in no way do I mean to detract from the hard work and persistence
| that the EU Commission has shown. However, I don't think they understand how
| seriously broken the US patent system is currently, and how easy it is to
| abuse it, or they don't feel it's their job to fix the US problems, or how
| central patents are to Microsoft's current strategy against FOSS.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
Swap:  1510068k total,   372384k used,  1137684k free,    66636k cached