[News] [Rival] Microsoft Disses Google, Joins Anti-Google Lobby?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Disses Google, Joins Anti-Google Lobby?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:21:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft Sees Online Ads Moving Away From Search, But Better Ask Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I would note that the argument that ad money online will shift away
| from keywords to display ads and other stuff is an argument that’s been made
| for a couple years now, as Google’s sales have continued to grow more than
| 40% quarter after quarter.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/50647-microsoft-sees-online-ads-moving-away-from-search-but-better-ask-google?source=yahoo

They try to pull ads back to the desktop (Windows). They achieve this with
Works and they have patents (see below) for spying on people's every move and
spreading advertising filth all over the desktop. They have to be careful not
to drive people away to other playforms in this way. They have already
conceded plans to have ads in Vista's login screen.

There's also Microsoft's embedment of links to its own services in the desktop.
It adds some of them using updates (abuse of monopoly power).

And then there's this:

Viacom CEO Dismisses Google Antipiracy Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Viacom's Philippe Dauman calls for industry-wide technology to block
| copyright-infringing content, rather than proprietary systems like Google's.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,138717-c,copyright/article.html

More censorship and blocking, courtesy of Viacom and Pals. 'Media company'
Microsoft is part of this lobby against Google and user-driven Web.

Media companies in copyright pact, Google absent

,----[ Quote ]
| Viacom Inc, Walt Disney Co, Microsoft Corp and other media companies have
| agreed to a set of guidelines to protect copyrights online but Google Inc,
| owner of the Web's biggest video site, was notably absent from the pact.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1826504720071018?rpc=44

Look at the list. What on earth is Microsoft the black sheep doing there?

Media, Internet companies list principles for copyrighted online content

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/071018/1536818.html?.v=3

Related:

Windows Live to Get First OEM Bundle

,----[ Quote ]
| The initial bundling would be for the Live homepage and Windows Live
| Toolbar, according to sources. Live search also is expected to be
| included in the deal. Other products or services could come in the
| future.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/live_side.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2jjymp

Connecting the dots on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| I would have asked one more follow up: Was Gates hinting that
| Microsoft will build more of its currently standalone Windows
| Live services right into the operating system?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=241

Where Should Vendors Stick Their Services?

,----[ Quote ]
| Wondering if you noticed the news over at Microsoft Watch this week
| that Microsoft has done what many considered inevitable: Started
| using Windows as a way to hawk Windows Live Services?
|
| It's not too surprising to me that Microsoft is splashing all over
| its Welcome to Vista screen (at least in one of the latest Vista test
| builds, No. 5506) promotional links, inviting users to download Windows
| Live Messenger, Windows Live OneCare, Windows Live Mail Desktop, and more.
| But I was surprised the Redmondians would be so bold as to actually
| embed Windows Live Messenger into Vista. After all the antitrust
| lawsuits Microsoft has been slapped with here, there and everywhere ?
| many of which have focused on its "innovative integration" (a k a,
| bundling) strategies, you'd think they'd be a little more cautious.
|
| With the actual Windows Live Messenger code (not just a download link)
| being integrated right into Vista, I think Microsoft might be really
| going out on a limb. When backed into a corner before about its
| integration strategy, Microsoft's defense was that removing any of
| the integrated components (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player,
| etc.) would break the OS. But if Vista test builds have been working
| just fine (well, middling, maybe, based on some not-so-happy tester
| comments) without Windows Live Messenger, how can Microsoft make a
| case for it being part of Windows?
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2005413,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8-21F6EEE223E3%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista--Microsoft’s latest operating system--may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk