[News] Linux is Stealing Microsoft's Market Share, Boosted by {Vista Flop}^TM

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Stealing Microsoft's Market Share, Boosted by {Vista Flop}^TM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:32:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Little Ubuntu chipping away at mighty Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is a version of Linux, the open-source OS that is chipping away at
| Microsoft's domination of the software market.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/3/story.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10470772

Why I've moved from Vista to Ubuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been using Windows since it was battling for desktop supremacy with GEM
| in the early 90s. In the mid 90s I spent several years producing newspapers
| on Apple Macs. Since the late 90s I've dabbled with Linux, but there have
| always been compelling reasons to return to, or stick with, Windows. No more,
| for two reasons: Vista, and Ubuntu 7.10 (ala Gutsy Gibbon).
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006214o-2000331758b,00.htm

Vista is only one flop among more to come (e.g. WHS and WS08, as shown below).

Related:

Will Windows Home Server be Microsoft’s next flop?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you buy-off on the theory that the world seems to be heading in the
| opposite direction that Microsoft wants to lead it, then you can’t help but
| wonder what the long term prospects for an offering like Windows Home Server
| are. Not good, if you ask me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=791

Windows Home Server fan club beats me up for asking if WHS is Microsoft’s next
flop

,----[ Quote ]
| Literally within minutes of each other (strangely coincidental), I received
| two e-mails — one from a colleague and the other from someone who concealed
| their identity — that basically told me I was out of line for questioning the
| chances that Microsoft’s Windows Home Server will succeed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=851

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten..."

Windows Server 2008 Delayed, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Already, Microsoft delayed SQL Server 2008 availability until later in 2008,
| even though the software launches with the new version of Windows Server.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/server/windows_server_2008_delayed_again.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

It's Official: An Unofficial Delay

,----[ Quote ]