[News] Mac OS X "NEARLY as reliable as Linux", Can BSD Save Windows?

  • Subject: [News] Mac OS X "NEARLY as reliable as Linux", Can BSD Save Windows?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:18:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple takes a pass on the enterprise prize

,----[ Quote]
| Mac OS X's FreeBSD roots provide a level of reliability matched by no version
| of Windows and no previous version of the Mac. In other words, it's nearly as
| reliable as Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9034938&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_feat
http://tinyurl.com/2ueucm

Why Microsoft Should Abandon Windows, Embrace BSD

,----[ Quote ]
| It's Not Just Bill Gates Leaving the Nest. So now that we have established
| that Vista is costing Microsoft a loyal fan base, despite the firm grip they
| maintain in the business market, it's important for Microsoft to take a
| proactive stance against improving Windows. With their grip on Dell dropping
| away slowly and the potential for the same thing with other companies like
| HP, I would not be shocked to see big box stores beginning to post record
| returns alongside those big Vista sales claims.
|
| When is Microsoft going to understand that there is a reason why Apple is
| outperforming them with a better, more stable OS? The simple fact is their
| choice of a BSD core has driven Apple's continued success. |
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2649&Itemid=449

Related:

FreeSBIE -- first (and mostly negative) impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| At this point, I've run about 15 or so live Linux CDs with varying
| degrees of success. And yes, I have manually configured a static
| networking connection before -- Fluxbuntu's "command line interface
| is EVERYTHING" philosophy sent me to the Web for instructions on
| how to do so.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/04/freesbie_first_and_mostly_nega.html

Review: PC-BSD 1.3

,----[ Quote ]
| PC-BSD's hardware support is good, but not quite on par with that of
| some Linux distributions. Part of this may be that BSD lacks some
| of the drivers available for Linux, and part of it seems to be
| related to the configuration utilities for PC-BSD. For example,
| PC-BSD seems to see my wireless card, but doesn't provide any
| tools (at least that I could find) to manage the card, supply a
| WEP password, or otherwise change the card's configuration.
|
| [...]
|
| On my Ubuntu desktop, I can plug in a USB soundcard and configure
| it to handle certain tasks (such as running Skype) and use my
| system soundcard for other tasks. I didn't see any way to manage
| multiple soundcards through the tools provided by PC-BSD.
|
| In short, PC-BSD is a bit behind Linux in hardware support. For
| standard desktops, its hardware support is probably sufficient.
| For some laptops or more complex hardware scenarios (such as
| multiple soundcards) it may require some advanced configuration.
`----

http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/09/1426257&tid=127&tid=13

PC-BSD 1.3: Day 1

,----[ Quote ]