[News] RISC OS Finally Meets Linux, Converges for a Live CD

  • Subject: [News] RISC OS Finally Meets Linux, Converges for a Live CD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:53:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
RISC OS-on-Linux project prepares live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| An ambitious initiative to eventually run RISC OS desktop software on
| Linux-powered PCs took a step closer to reality this month.
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact2058.html

Many roads intersect at Linux. Syllable OS took a similar route recently (see
the links at the very bottom).

Related:

RISC OS News: Wakefield 2007 show report

,----[ Quote ]
| Chatting to Jack, it seemed apparent that he is perhaps a little
| envious of the lively community-based websites in the Linux, BSD, BeOS
| and Apple Mac platforms. Websites such as Fresh Meat, kernel.org and
| haiku-os.org allow fellow developers to download source code, collaborate
| on projects, discuss bugs and features, and generally form a feeling
| of cohesion within a platform. It also encourages outside coders
| and organisations to join in because they'll be more willing to try
| out an operating system that has an active, intelligent and positive
| community surrounding it - it's easier to find answers, get problems
| solved, and so on, with the backing of other online users.
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1961.html

Castle reveal shared source licence

,----[ Quote ]
| Source code to be released tomorrow
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1958.html

Castle and ROS Open reveal plans for 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| He said: "We looked at using the GPL in great deal, and we had to
| select and modify it a lot to suit us and the situation we are in.
| We do need to protect our intellectual property, and have a degree
| of control over it. Our approach is to make the license flexible,
| and the controls in place can be relaxed if we feel this is
| necessary in future."
|
| He also acknowledged that RISC OS 5 could somewhat fork into
| different favours, like GNU/Linux more or less quickly did,
| but said said he hoped "we can move it as one lump forward,
| and not have bits and pieces spread out everywhere."
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1786.html

RISC OS Open licence in hands of lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
| "The open source licence (still with the lawyers after many months of
| careful drafting, but soon to be made available) under which RISC OS
| is made available either free or for pence per unit is not like the
| GPL one. Rather, as third parties improve RISC OS, they are obliged
| by the licence to publish details of those improvements and they
| then become part of RISC OS..."
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1785.html

Could open source RISC OS bring back users?

,----[ Quote ]
| "If this were to happen, it would open up the possibility of
| either community-based or commercial groups moving the OS to other
| hardware platforms. ARM powered motherboards, PDAs, set top boxes
| and even phones are ubiquitous and many of these could, in theory,
| serve as a platform for running RISC OS..."
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1750.html

RISC OS 5.12 released with price tag

,----[ Quote ]
| A fortnight after announcing plans to share the RISC OS 5 source
| code, developers Castle have slapped a 69 quid price tag on their
| latest OS upgrade. The news has lead to some confusion over the
| future direction of the operating system, and fuelled concern
| that crucial components of RISC OS 5 will remain closed source
| as chargeable updates.
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1717.html

RISC OS 5 source code release revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Castle and RISC OS Open Ltd have revealed their ambitious plan to release
| the source code of various RISC OS 5 components. Under a so-called
| 'shared source initiative', a phased release of RISC OS is promised to
| take place over the next few months - starting with applications
| including Paint, Edit, Draw, Configure, Unicode, the web browser Browse,
| and the printer manager. The Shared C Library and RISC OS build scripts
| will also be released, according to CTL and ROS Open.
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1706.html

RISC OS Open: One year on

,----[ Quote ]
| Opening up the RISC OS blue prints was a courageous initiative. From Castle's
| point of view, it was loosening the grip on a precious commodity, its
| intellectual property. Furthermore, it was a public admission that they were
| too small a company working too small a market and with too few resources to
| develop RISC OS further by themselves.
`----

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1998.html

Syllable Server Video Demonstration

,----[ Quote ]
| Turning our attention to the future, there's a demonstration video of
| Syllable Server, the server companion to Syllable Desktop that is under
| development and is being built on the Linux kernel [torrent, 91 MB AVI
| video].
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18470/Syllable-Server-Video-Demonstration/

New Syllable Build System for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Syllable project has released a new package of Builder, the system that
| builds Syllable, its native applications, and ported applications. Builder
| can also be installed on Linux.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18299/New-Syllable-Build-System-for-Linux/

Five Questions: Kristian 'Vanders' van der Vliet, Syllable

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://osnews.com/story.php/18218/Five-Questions-Kristian-Vanders-van-der-Vliet-Syllable/